war between England and Switzerland

samak

from the Sun:

Swiss declare war on Sun

By CLODAGH HARTLEY

WAR-dodging Switzerland finally went into battle yesterday ? against The Sun.

The nation of clock-makers, who declared themselves neutral way back in 1815, went cuckoo over our jibes at bungling Euro 2004 referee Urs Meier.

A radio station urged listeners to BOMBARD Britain?s favourite newspaper with phone calls ? and we were hit by a BLITZ of emails.

The fearsome broadside came after we poked fun at the man who robbed England by disallowing Sol Campbell?s goal against Portugal.

We laid out our giant Cross of St George flag outside his household appliance shop in Wurensol, near Zurich. And we urged readers to boycott Swiss rolls and Swatch watches.

Zurich radio station Energy NRJ hit back by launching ?The Big Revenge?.

Some of those emails...

What are you English people thinking to treat our referee this way. Can?t you admit that your John Terry made a bloody mistake. Or maybe you should learn your blondy Beckham how to shoot at goal!

VERA SUCH, Basle

England?s pathetic history of football and imperialism, contributing to the destruction of Europe, has obviously gone to your heads again. You lost the game ? and good riddance.

TORSTEN KRANTZ, Zurich

DJ Roman Kilchsperger told listeners to ?Give the s*** back to the English.?

He gave out our phone number on air and goaded fans into making ?abusive calls?. Then they came in their dozens ? many of them from the DJ?s own foul-mouthed colleagues.

The email attack was equally frightening.

Max Geiser, of Beil, blasted: ?Why do you think that our best Swiss referee should be guilty of England?s out in Portugal? Ask your big star Beckham why he did not score the penalty!?

Pascal Hoffmeir raged: ?This is war on England but we cannot boycott English food because it is so lousy.?

Sebastien Wilmott, of Zurich, gunned: ?Maybe you think this is rugby and you are good at that.?

But we were backed by Romanian newspaper Gardianul, which told how Meier cost their country a chance to qualify for Euro 2004.

Editor Gabriel Stanescu said: ?We congratulate you.?

Now YOU can get your own back on cocky DJ Kilchsperger by phoning his mobile on 00 41 793440922 or emailing him on roman.kilchsperger@energyzueri.ch. Or call the radio station direct on 0041 1 250 90 00. Give ?em hell!

and that is the link: http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004300994,00.html

The fearsome broadside came after we poked fun at the man who robbed England by disallowing Sol Campbell’s goal against Portugal.

---------------------

Is this fun, when Hooligans sent more as 16'000 rude e-mail to the Referee, when

English journalists besiege his house for days, when his family members become murder threath and when a female Swiss, who is on holiday, were trashed from English Hooligans, is this fun???

Englands Football Hooligans should watch the scene in slow-motion. Then a fair football fan can see that the Ref's decree was correct, everyone can see it, except English Hooligans.

English Football Hooligans should ask each other, where they want to go on EURO 2008, then the tournament will be in Switzerland and Austria. ::

And about the local radio actions here, it's just a smart revenge, but in my opinion also be missed!

I can not wait till our own stupid sensational rag newspapers get involt in this.

Why all the fuss?

1. Don't you know there are lots of idiots in the world?

2. The Sun's an idiot's newspaper.

3. It runs hundreds of 'stories' like this every year. Even the people who read the Sun don't take it seriously. They know it's a rag. YOU'RE TAKING IT TOO SERIOUSLY.

4. "Journalists outside his door", "planting flags", etc. SHOCK HORROR! It's tabloid journalism. He's a minor story of the minute.

5. "Death threats", etc. This may sound callous but, in all probability, in his sleepy Swiss village type way, Mr Meier may be taking the excitement of a few kids' and/or drunken lads' "pranks" a little too seriously. He does strike me as a man who takes things too seriously (he's Swiss and a referee, for Pete's sake!::) Perhaps the threats are even being played up by the media again, just to make a story. They need lots of stories, after all.

6. The English people are hardly preparing an armada against the Swiss. Most of us think:

a) England didn't play well and Portugal deserved to go through.

B) The disallowed goal was a little bit annoying (and perhaps not even a foul as the goaly seemed to jump into Terry more than Terry impeded him) but you always expect continental referees to blow the whistle as soon as the most overprotected species on the field, the goalkeeper, falls over. It's annoying but I can't really say I was surprised. Most referees would have blown.

c) However, we don't blame the ref. Polls show we blame Beckham, the tactics, the team, the manager, etc...

d) However, as with a lot of referees, Mr Meier has an irritating manner. My own personal view is that referees are particularly annoying in this tournament. There seem to be a few that regard themselves as the 'stars'. Anders Frisk, for instance, with his theatrical flouncing around, and the way he booked Ronaldo last night for taking his shirt off (I know it's strictly the law but I can't really see Collina doing the same. Get some sense into the game!).

e) Hey, the new Premiership season is coming around soon! And Wimbledon's on.

f) That Roger Federer's a nice chap, isn't he? And, watching Wimbledon, I haven't yet heard anyone calling out, "You Swiss bastard".:: Hmmm, I wonder if you're all taking this a bit too seriously.

Anyone care to take a personal bet that no one even touches Mr Meier, as no one touched Beckham after the '98 World Cup?

The funny thing is, all the indignant, shocked reactions to such predictable Sun idiocy reminds me of another malodorous rag - The Daily Mail! :doah:

Give it a year and it'll seem silly. And I bet Mr Meier's still alive and kicking then. Well, maybe not kicking.

Archived