Farang Abroad With Thai Driving Licence

Fidel

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lukdod: Nope, I'm right all along. I said I've used it, and I have, and if you don't want to believe me, I could not care less. Go ahead, write another boring encyclopedia-length entry for people to ignore most of, while I continue using my IDL just like I always have.

'Big' Kahuna wrote: Lukdod: Nope, I'm right all along. ...

I continue using my IDL just like I always have.

--------------------

It matters not to me if you wish to use _only_ an IDL to rent cars in the US (or elsewhere). I wish you the best, regardless.

Yet, for other users of Nanaplaza who have and will read this thread, they will likely be more curious and check the facts before giving any merit to your claims for the IDL.

The backlash on Nanaplaza, to Big Kahuna, will be similar the fables 'The Little Boy Who Cried Wolf, by Aesop, or the story of 'Chicken Little and Henny Penny, where "Chicken Little" claims the 'sky is falling'. In essence, the characters in these stories lost all their credibility due to exaggerated and unsupported claims, and are now not to be believed. The same now apparently applies to any of Big Kahuna's claims.

'Nuf said. Readers will be the judge.

We all seem to be saying the same thing but using different terms.

The IDP is not a drivers license. It is an official translation of a valid drivers license making the 'valid' drivers license legal in those states signed onto the UN treaties. This is like the paperwork for marriage here in Thailand - you obtain translations and take them to MFA to make them legal for international use.

You can not use the IDP without the license it is based on.

When the California web site says the IDP is not valid this is what they mean - not by itself. You must have the license that it is based on with you for the IDP to be accepted as making it legal.

Right, Lopburi, I never said that you did not have to ALSO have your original license. Old LickDick was just putting words in my mouth.

Sheesh! They really need to tighten up controls on letting English teachers into the country.

Kahuna wrote:

"Right, Lopburi, ***I never said that you did not have to ALSO have your original license.*** Old LickDick was just putting words in my mouth.

Sheesh! They really need to tighten up controls on letting English teachers into the country. "

***The whole problem arose...because you _claimed_ that the IDL is a 'legal and valid' driver's license' as you said in a previous post below. Yet when it was repeated mentioned that the IDL is _not_ a _legal driver's license_, you became hostile, posting such adolescent comments about my being full of fecal matter and 'dick lick'. Your childish comments had me thinking it might be 'interesting to meet you someday ....but as 'water seeks it's own level', I'd rather not denigrade myself.

Kahuna previously wrote

"The policy of ANY car-rental company is ***you must have a LEGAL AND VALID driver's license, which an IDL is, by international treaty.*** As mentioned before, federal treaty trumps state law every time.

The IDL is legal, legal, legal. AND legal."

While I'm not an English teacher, as you so allude, it might benefit you to improve your reading and comprehension skills before flying of the handle. My posts simply indicated that a valid driver's lic. is mandatory, and an IDL alone is _not_ a legal driver's license...something that you never agreed with. None of this prolonged exchange would have occurred if you'd been better able to comprehend the posts.

So let the reader decide...

Archived