Farang Abroad With Thai Driving Licence

Fidel

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to have had your Thai license for a certain number of years to qualify for an international license. Not sure of the number of years, but I know it's less than 5.

To get and Intern'l License issued in Thailand, you must not only have a Thai driver's licence, _but_ your Thai licence _must_ be over 1-year old...i.e.. in at least the first renewal.

Many countries DO NOT accept Intern'l Driver's Licenses as they are not issues by any gov't agency. Be sure an check if Ireland accepts them. I was considering getting an Intern'l Licenses as my driver's license in the States has expired, but checking the Internet has informed my that the license of my country of residence is valid...hence my Thai license is valid for visiting the States.

Well, the problem with that is how many Americans in America can read Thai and know that's really your license? You could be showing them a library card or student ID for all they know. International licenses are valid in the U.S.; best to have one there.

big_kahuna wrote: ..." International licenses are valid in the U.S.; best to have one there. "

***Correction, meant politely: It's best to check the state laws, and save us all some time......before posting such erroneous information! Yes, and IDL can be used for ID purposes...but...an International Driving Permit is _NOT_ a driver license, merely a translation of the foreign driver license, it does _NOT_ authorize any driving privileges. As I stated in my previous post...you can use the valid license of your country of residence.

Some examples...of US states where IDL's are _NOT_ accepted for driving are:

California:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#international

Oregon:

http://www.oregondmv.com/DriverLicensing/opv_internl.htm

IF you check the remaining 48 states and tell us how many accept an IDL to drive on their highways, you might be surprised.

LD,

The 2 states that I am familiar with, New Jersey and Indiana, do accept international driver's licenses. NJ says "an International Driver License issued by there(sic) country."

Doesn't say the government of the country, but I won't argue that 'government' is not implied. I will argue that issued by an agency empowered by the government to do so qualifies even if the agency is not a government agency.

The US Department of State recommends, for US citizens, "If you need an international driver's license, check with the American Automobile Association or other motor club about obtaining one in the U.S. before you leave."

My Thai wife has an IDL, issued in Bangkok by some branch of the Thai government.

Grabii

LukDod said:

...Many countries DO NOT accept Intern'l Driver's Licenses as they are not issues by any gov't agency. Be sure an check if Ireland accepts them. I was considering getting an Intern'l Licenses as my driver's license in the States has expired, but checking the Internet has informed my that the license of my country of residence is valid...hence my Thai license is valid for visiting the States.

Archived