Farang Abroad With Thai Driving Licence

Fidel

Further: If a car company parted with their car to someone without a legal driver's license, and the driver killed someone in the wreck, the rental company could be sued for big bucks, because they gave a car to someone without a legal license. The IDL is legal, folks.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sanuk4u said:

Can you PM me with instructions on how to get an international license?

thanks heaps!!!

Any Automobile Association, US (AAA) Canada (CAA), Australia, UK etc can and does issue them.

Big Kahuna...wrote: "Car companies will NOT rent to anyone without a *valid* driver's license. The IDL must be valid, or the company would never part with their car. Therefpre, certain people who shall remain nameless, but go by the initials LD, _are full of fecal matter_. "

-----------

Gee, BigKahuna, do you need to resort to adolescent name calling??

I have NO idea what the policies are of of Hertz, or any other auto rental agency. Nor, am I privy to what such a agencies legal liability might be if they rent to IDL holders. I have previously listed sites that clearly indicate that an IDL is NOT valid as a drivers license and that the STATE LAW specifically says a valid foreign license can be used. An IDL is a translation for ID use only.

In later post, I suggested you look at those sites and verify the law about IDL's. You were evidently either too lazy, or just unwilling to admit your belief, regardless of what Hertz does, that an IDL is NOT VALID for driving in Calif & other states....according to their STATE LAW. I have only stated the STATE law, in response to the _original question_.

Again, here are some easily viewed sites from the Calif Dept of Motor Vehicles. Please indicate where the State says an IDL is _valid_ for use as a drivers license. That has been your main contention. I'm big enough to admit if I'm in error and I don't need to stoop to petty name calling!

The LAW on Calif Dept of Motor Vehicles site, at the bottom of

this page: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#international

International Driving Permits:

The State of California does not recognize an International Driving Permit (IDP) as a valid driver license. California does recognize a valid driver license that is issued by a foreign jurisdiction (country, state, territory) of which the license holder is a resident.

The IDP is only a translation of information contained on a person's foreign driver license and is not required to operate a motor vehicle in California. Citations issued to a person in California who has an IDP, but does not have a California driver license will be placed on the Department of Motor Vehicle database.

The IDP is also called an International Driver License, International License, etc.

Also at: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/pgs01thru03.htm

Visitors To California:

If you are a visitor in California over 18 years old and have a valid driver license from your home state or country (where you live permanently), you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.

The policy of ANY car-rental company is you must have a LEGAL AND VALID driver's license, which an IDL is, by international treaty. As mentioned before, federal treaty trumps state law every time.

The IDL is legal, legal, legal. AND legal.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually you are both wrong.

If you have a look in an International Drivers License (A real one, not the fakes you can buy over internet) you will see that it is clearly stated that the IDL must be accompanied by the local license used when the international license were issued.

The IDL is not valid by it self, just a translation/verification of your local license but together with your local license it?s valid in all the countries who are signatories of the convention under which the IDL was issued.

To make it more complicated there are two international conventions with regard to IDL and most countries only recognize one of the two.

The main difference with the two conventions is that one will issue a three year license the other only a one year license. Most countries in Asia have only recognized the convention with the one year license.

'Big Kahuna wrote: "Still, I use my LEGAL IDL when renting cars in the US. "

------------

Kahuna...you make claims that and IDL is _legal_, but have failed to post anything to substantiate your claim!

So, show us...I'm sure we're open to learning something new!

Thank you for your objective input, 'dickonline'

Okay....'Big Kahuna'....

Contrary to your claim, like all rental agencies that comply with the LAW in the USA, HERTZ requires a vaild driver's license and an IDL, _if_ the license is in a language other than English. So, evidently 'Big Kahuna' was fortunate when he rented from Hertz and the clerk(s) were not too well informed of the company policies or the law. And due to his limited experience, Kahuna persists in claiming that an IDL is a valid driver's license, when it is clearly not, yet he has never bothered or been able to substantiate his _claim_!

READ WHAT HERTZ SAYS ABOUT IDL'S:

Click on http://www.hertz.com/ ... then "Locations & Cars & More" .... then on Qualification & Requirements (a small bar below the 'yellow "Hertz" logo near the top right of the page) ...and finally on "Driver's Licenses" located in the gray column on the left. And then read the following on Hertz's site:

"An acceptable valid driver's license, issued from your country of residence, MUST be presented at time of rental. The driver's license must be valid for the entire rental period. If the driver's license is in a language other than English, and the rental is in the United States, an International Driver's Permit is recommended. In all cases, a valid driver's license issued in your home country must be provided, whether or not you possess an International Driver's Permit. You will

NOT be allowed to rent a Hertz vehicle with only an International Driver's Permit."

A BOGUS Previous Post (by me, LukDod):

Earlier, as 'Kahuna' evidently failed to read the links previously posted which related to the US states laws. I must admit to getting tired of trying to place valid info which might help others on the board and getting adloescent name calling from 'Kahuna' because I wouldn't embrace his unsubstantiated claim. He was adamant that his limited experience at Hertz deemed that an IDL was a valid driver's license. So...I posted a link to a _BOGUS_ article which said that an IDL is a valid license, just to stop his whining. Now if anyone is naive enough to believe all they read in print, without checking it's validity, then that's their problem! One can also find many sites also selling IDL's that falsely claim

an IDL is a valid substitute for a valid driver's license, when it is not.

So, Kahuna, I'll assume that you are Net literate and in addition to your viewing the Hertz site listed above, suggest you also do a search to check the driver's license requirement and any IDL necessity of other US car rental agencies. It's doubtful you'll find a site which cites the State law and stipulates that having _only_ an IDL is valid for driving.

If so then post a link to the site to _support your beliefs_ and enlighen us.

Someone previously posted that 'treaty' law takes precedence, referring to the IDL. Yes, this is true, and the signors of the treaties were in agreement to accept the IDL for identification purposes only, not as a substitute driver's license.

I presume you are adult enough to just admit your error and we can get onto other things. Yet, if you persist in 'beating that long dead horse', I'd like to make a wager with you, payable whenever you may get to Thailand: that an IDL alone is not a valid driver's license in the US. Minimum bet is at least $1-K US and I always pay my debt in the rare instances I was mis-informed. Yet, I rarely make foolish bets, but

I have often bet with fools.

I don't expect you will be foolish...but do make ammends, learn something and take it all in stride. The lists are to help and inform others, as well as tell stories, and it is often important to provide as accurate of info as possible so as to not unintentionally mis-lead readers.

As a segue, I recently acquired an IDL in Bangkok, as I'd learned online that none of the US car rental agencies will rent a car with _only_ my Thai drivers license (my Calif license has since expired)...and an IDL is needed in addition to the Thai license for ID and as a translation of the Thai

driver's license. None of the agency's sites indicated they could legally accept an IDL in place of a valid valid driver's license which is from one's country of residence.

Archived