Banks

stumpy

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if any of the Thai Bank offer online banking and can i open one of these as a foreigner (holiday maker)?

Would like to be able to transfer money from my UK account to a Thai account and maybe back again.

Thanks,

SD.

Let me preface this by saying I'm _not_ an authority on this topic, but normally you need a type O or business visa, never a tourist visa, in order to open any Thai bank acc't.

OTOH...as everything potentially can be flexible, a lot depends on who you speak to at any given bank. With many trips to many banks, you just _might_ happen upon the one indifferent (or uninformed) clerk who might issue you an acc't.

But, consider too that money transferred to Thailand is converted into Baht and usually the conversion rate is not that favorable, hence you lose some value on you original Pounds. Also, you'd lose value on the conversion when sending money back to the UK. Of course, the banks also charge a fee for transfers.

So, the best recommendation I can humbly provide is simply bring some money with you, and use your ATM card in Thailand to access funds from your UK bank when you need them.

you mention that conversion rate is not favourable!

can you explore on that?

in my experience you get normal published TT rate, that also corporate or local customers of the bank get. i have never heard of a 2tier currency rate system.

ATM is limited to 20'000 THB per withdrawal and for each withdrawal you usually have to pay a flat fee to the bank in your homeland. currency rate is determined by homeland bank and hardly any better than here in LOS. for larger amounts (of course it depends on fees of your homeland bank, but i would guess from 100'000 to 200'000 up) it is cheaper to transfer money on a Thai account.

Nervous_Dog said:

Have had a mate open a bank account about a month ago with a tourist visa, try bangkok bank, Suk, Soi 8.

I did it a few years back after the ban was LIFTED.

K Bank offers on line services, quite good too, but sometimes a bit stiffer with opening accounts

JB

After opening an account, try to get Internet banking with it.

Then they require ID, address in Thai, 3 pages form to fill...even for Thais it's a tedious procedure (almost one hour and bank staff assisting, going back and forth copying documents, taking forms for manager's approval..) but works.

A week or so later the bank will send you your pin in a letter.

I don't think a holidaying farang would have all that's needed to fill those forms. Withessed when my gf got her Internet banking on a 2 years pre-existing bank account with BKK bank.

At least it IMO it requires some more ground that a tourist's 30 days visa. Too many things are involved - can't believe somebody can just get lucky with an easy going bank clerk.

On-line banking is very restricted and not of much use to most people. You are not going to be able to transfer international funds on-line and in most cases even domestic transfers are limited. Automated phone banking offers most of what you get on-line.

For international transfers you just need an account at a bank here and you should be able to get with a tourist visa if you move on to the next branch if refused. You can then use SWIFT for transfers.

Could be right about the online stuff, I do remember my mate got his through K Bank, which was easy, but they can be strict with tourist account, still would try both bangkok bank and K Bank.

Also as someone very rightly pointed out, international money transfers are sdly not like in the movies, international ones often need someone at the bank to make it happen, foor my sing and Aus accounts I can send them a email asking them to transfer, then they will, but it it NOT part of internet banking, which is more to do with local fund transfers and bill payments

Archived