Satellite television question...HELP!!!

itsmedave

After just returning from a monthlong trip to the states and decent television, the crap that UBC passes off as watchable programming is really getting to me.

Gummigut gave me a great article on sattelite c-band and Jimmie Blonde sent over a dish installer but I still have many more questions before taking the plunge.

This is what I know so far:

The installer will get me an 8 foot dish installed with sandbags for about 14,000 baht. Add a receiver and card for South African programming (pretty good selection) and the cost rises to 25,000 baht + 3000 a month for subscription. It is possible to get some free channels but they appear to be mostly Indian and Pakistani crap which for me would be unwatchable. Gummigut has heard of somebody who gets U.S. college football through Voice of America but the link is unclear. Anybody else out there hear about this?

Seems to be multiple packages for purchase, including several 24 hour xxx channels including a popular one called Bluekiss for about 6000 baht per year.

There are numerous pirated packages for much cheaper but the quality and length of these options are in doubt.

So...here's what I need to know:

For those who use satellite's now, how much should I be paying for installation? Do I need to purchase the box and card for the African programming or can I get it pirated cheaper? What other pirated options are there, and how do I get them? (feel free to PM me answers if afraid to publicly admit to knowledge in this area.)

I really want to get a satellite, and do it soon, but I'm clueless as to how the whole system works and the backdoors to get the good stuff. PLEASE HELP!!!

Gracias!

Have a look at what Satellite they are hooked into and see what stations are one it. We had Sat. at work. There were well over 100 stations. One problem is that it took a few seconds for the station to tune in. The best part was it really improved my Hindi, Malay, Bahasa indonesian, Pakistanie language skills. No English out of 100 channels. This Sat. was through Samart. I see PSI has alot of signs around town, but know jack shit about the system.

Archived