Any good Thai restaurants in BKK?

Fiery Jack

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its fun to walk through that place but I ended up at the one on Petchaburi down from Panthip for half the price and the food was great...

Oneye

I've heard the seafood in Poseidon, Ratchada, is pretty good...

Failing that, I second Raan Derm Baan in Sukhumvit 22 - just past Washington Square on the same side. Great food, big menu and reasonable prices. It's my favourite restaurant in Bangkok and pisses on tourist-trap Mango Tree (for example).

Not so good for food but sounds-like-it'll-impress-your-bird-for-traditional-style-and-ambience is Baan Lao on Soi 36, as Old Hippie mentioned. In fact, being a farang bird she won't notice the difference in food, she'll be so impressed at those little wooden huts...

Is Lemongrass still there on Soi 24? I only went there once, about 8 years ago, but it was pretty good at the time, both for food and style.

If you want something to talk about, the biggest restaurant in the world is based in Bangkok. So big that waiters whizz around on rollerskates. However, the food isn't that great and it's not that romantic.

Forget Suda on Soi 14. Used to be OK until all the backpacker guides started to recommend it. Now it's full of first-time farangs and, even if you order the food in your best Thai, it'll come back as bland as hell. (And even my deadly charm can't raise a smile from the seen-it-all Chinese waitresses.:rolleyes:)

For a Chao Praya riverboat experience, try Yok Yor(?), opposite Shangri-La hotel. Much better than the hotel rip-offs and you won't see many other farangs on the boat. Charge of around 70B(?) per person for the trip plus cost of food, which is good and reasonably priced. I've still got the phone number for them so you can give the taxi driver the phone to find them when you get close - 02 439 3855.

Btw, anyone seen the cutie working in the Subway closest to Soi 4, nighttime? Young but Super-cute:angel:!

And what the fuck are you doing with a farang bird?! Traitor.

Recently went to Lemongrass (Suk 24) and found it overpriced and overrated. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a authentic Thai-food affectionado who really likes the this joint. Same as Biddles said about Suda "Used to be OK until all the backpacker guides started to recommend it. Now it's full of first-time farangs and, even if you order the food in your best Thai, it'll come back as bland as hell."

• 3 weeks later...

i have seen this restaurant a couple of times when i passed this soi (some times ago when i was looking for a new apartment to live in i also visited this building, but the restaurant was not yet there). can you explore a bit more on style, prices, special dishes they offer?

Just to follow up on the feedback my original post attracted...

Didn't have as much time in BKK as I7d hoped, but managed to get to Vientiane Kitchen on Soi 36, recommended by Old Hippie. My squeeze and I had a great evening. :applause: Food was nice and spicy and the very cheerful bird who served us (a real cutie :hubba:) made intelligent selections (in a mixture of garbled English and baby Thai, so we got there eventually ;)) from the menu when I asked her to choose us some appetizers. The Issan band were a hoot and a bunch of drunk Thai office workers kept getting up and singing karaoke-style, which was marvellous entertainment. :) Check-bin must've been reasonable (I was sloshed by the time it came for paying :drunk:) or I'd remember. Lots of other customers enjoying themselves, many sanukers with Thai hookers on tow by the look of it, a few falang family groups and the odd young trendy Thai couple. Everyone looked happy. No need to overdress, but you'd feel a bit of a spanner in a scruffy t-shirt, surf shorts and flip-flops: :doah: polo shirt and slacks more the ticket. No complaints. Fried bugs on the menu too (we passed... :(). 10/10 :up:

Oh, and I've eaten before at Baan Thai (Soi 5) as recommended by Pattaya 127, and it was also excellent.

jack :help:

bibblies said:And what the fuck are you doing with a farang bird?! Traitor.

Fret not, sir. :o She's Asian, not Thai but looks 100% Thai. I thought she was Thai the first time I saw her. Every native we encounter in LOS immediately starts yacking to her in machine-gun Thai, which is hilarious since she doesn't speak a word of the language... :doah:

She's not from Stoke, anyway. :rolleyes:

Will you let me off with a warning. :angel:

jack :help:

PS. I'm not a snitch, but I heard that Carew was going out with a falang bird. A real one. ::

• 2 weeks later...

I highly recommend a place called Bua Restaurant, a bit out of the way located on the edge of the river in a large complex near the BKK BMW dealer called "SV City". Anyway, you can either eat inside with the AC or if it is cool enough, outside on a deck overlooking the CP river. They only have Thai food and it is really good and usually runs about 300 baht per person, although you could eat there for less or more. Up to you. Mostly Thai middle and upper middle class patrons there, but menu has pictures and English translation.

Archived