Any good Thai restaurants in BKK?

Fiery Jack

No, I'm not being my usual sarcastc self :: ? this is a genuine query. :) I'll be in BKK with my non-Thai bird :o for a few days in August. She loves Thai food and so do I, but not (at least when she's about) from roadside stalls, more the romantic-type restaurant sketch. :p

Last time she was in BKK we went to that cavernous place on the corner across from the Siam Square Novotel (forget the name, but it changed a few years ago...) and she really enjoyed the ambience and food (plus the fact the menu was full of photos so we knew what we were ordering... neither of us can speak Thai). That's the kind of place I'm looking for ? kind of authentic rather than hardcore touristy, and romantic, somewhere new she'll be impressed by, basically. ;) And, yeah, we've done the river cruises... :up:

Any ideas, lads. Please give details of location and prices. :hubba:

Cheers, :beer:

jack :help:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try Ban Lao and or Vientiane Kitchen on Soi 36. Ban Lao is around the corner from VK. Also, the place on the second or first floor (3 up from the basement) in Ploenchit center is good. They have another place up Sukhumvit, forget what cross streets, you go down stairs, sometimes has a load band playing out front...Also, the place above foodland is good...Mango Tree in Patpong is also very good, very expensive (farang type prices) Touristy but decent...

OH, I know you love those places, but I am just not into Issan food so much. I like a broader selection on the menu (central & southern Thai choices).

I recently had good fun & food at a joint called Ad Makers on Soi Luan Suan. Live band, Dewars, Jack Daniels & Singha tarts, long wooden tables forcing you to make friends with your neighbors. Mostly middle class Thai, but a few farang. Cheap: food for three couples, a pitcher of Heineken and a couple of bottles of water & Singha came to about B1200.

More quiet is Lemongrass on Sukhumvit 24, Ruan Derm on Sukhumvit 22 or Oam Thong on Sukhumvit 33. Middle of the road pricing (B1000-1500 for a couple with drinks), decent food.

Top end would be Lanna in the Face Bar complex on Sukhumvit 36, Blue Elephant on Sathorn or Mahanaga on Sukhumvit 31. Sexy, romantic, trendy and pricey. Expect B3-5K for dinner for two with wine and other drinks. Great food, great atmosphere.

Let me know if you want better directions to any of these places.

Cheers,

SD

I like Suan Lung also (Night Bizaar) decent food, great prices and live entertainment, and you cannot over look those girls in their varios uniforms....I like the beer chang green myself! I suppose Jack could take his date to the Nana cafe, and tell her "look honey, I love you, but anyone of these girls can and will replace you if you don't do right..." Call me a hopeless romantic...

Dear Fiery Jack, you must be one of these newbies who are too lazy to make a search on the subject thru our archives, but welcome to our board anyway and..... :D :D :D

Baan thai, a 100 meters down on soi 5 from Suk, above the supermarket, across the street from that big hotel (Amari?). Sure there are plenty more, but this may be right in your neck of the wood where you stay. And a lot of us here have loved the food there, consistently. Best satay I ever had was from there. Big menu anyway.

Not the same place as Suadum, but a couple of my favorites are on Soi Lang Suan...the first is Nguan Lees on the corner near Lumpini Park (standing at the park on the right).. a mix of thai and chineese, not many farangs there, but pretty basic. Another is on the left about 1/2 way up the soi, again not fancy but excellent food....(all thai), good seafood, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

some of the not so often on this board mentioned (becuase off the beaten track) but excellent Thai restaurants with high quality food and nice atmosphere:

Supatra Riverhouse (your non Thai bird will love it; at Chao Phraya River, opposite Grand Palace on a Terrace; very romantic)

Tanying on Soi Pramuan off Silom; high class Thai Restaurant; classic interior

Bussaracum on Pan Road off Silom; Royal Thai Cuising; classic interior

Samak, :up:

The Supatra Riverhouse was looking like a good bet until I stumbled across this 'glowing' review :o (admittedly 'Anonymous' :nono: so, perhaps, a grudge job...) on the 'net just now. :doah:

[color:"red"] Unforgettable

I tried the Supatra River House restaurant last evening for the first time. The place is very nice, the service is OK but a bit rushed. The food was probably the worst meal I've had in Thailand in many years. I can honestly say that I've had better food at factory canteens. I was shocked at how bad it was. I am an expat in Thailand and have been working in country for over a decade and can honestly say that if you are a tourist and have no idea how the dishes should taste, this is a great place. If you even remotely know Thai food, do not bother going to this restaurant.    [24 Apr 2004 22:03:33]

Food: 1/5   Service: 2/5   Ambiance: 4/5  Overall: 1/5

Recommended Dishes: None [/color] ::

Any comments, boss? :rolleyes:

jack :beer:

Archived