Any good Thai restaurants in BKK?

Fiery Jack

anonymous! may be a competitor.

i think that the food is good and i know many people (expats and thai) who share my opinion. it is not the absolute top regarding Thai Food in Bangkok but regarding the atmosphere it is top.

of course they tone down a bit, so lovers of very hot food might a bit disappointed.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about Baan Kanitha?

I thought it was good and in a well known area, Soi 23. Just stroll from Soi 21 through Soi Cowboy, if you don't get distracted along the way, turn right into Soi 23 and it's there.

Outside sitting, aircon inside.

Vientiane Kitchen? Good but Isaan food, even spicier. Nice at night when you can't see the construction site in the place of the former Korean BBQ 80 baht all you can eat restaurant.

Baan Lao? A bit tucked away in the subsoi, much cheaper than the above, checked the menu but never eaten there.

I would think, what SuaDum suggested is a good choice. Many good (and not cheap) restaurants there. Many seemed to be sort of world-class equipped, like the Gullivers.

Baan Khanita has also 2 branches on Soi Ruam Rudi; one has the same food as on Soi 23 and they have a lot of paintings hanging inside, so that's why it is called Baan Khanita Gallery (i believe). the other is called Curries & More and features thai and international cuisine. the menu is actually a collection of thai, pasta, curries, western deserts and other dishes; a bit weird so it would fit perfectly for FJ :neener:

Just remembered: how about that large fish-market restaurant in Soi 20 (?) next to Emporium? Can't remember it's name, has a big lobster sign over the Soi. It says "If it swims, we have it".

You can buy whatever you want, fresh fish, lobsters, oysters, veggies, hand it over to a "stewardess" that will take it to the cooks who do it to your liking. Even one potato they will do mashed, baked, boiled, creamed or as fries.

In addition, Thai dishes are also available from the menu.

A large airconditioned place, can seat probably 1000 people, not a canteen. A very nice place, lots of flowers/plants between the tables, but not cheap. A rich fresh seafood dinner for 2 with only water and coke to drink can easily go 1500-2000B.

Has it's own free parking if one needs it. A bit touristy though.

Busloads of doctors, dentists, lawyers, whatever, attending conferences in BKK are regularly dumped there. One time, many of the patrons left, filled up five coach buses and I did not notice there were any fewer people in the restaurant after that.

On the other hand, a bit of a contrast to the usual mixture seen on the streets. I believe it does some good service to BKK's image.

what a coincidence! i was just there tonight with a business guest. it's called Seafoodmarket and it is on suk soi 24. beside the english sign "if it swims, we have it" they also have inside a sign in thai " rao yok thalee hai ma thee nee". yes it is pricey, but quality of food is excellent and service as well (as we had crab we got 3 times towl, two bowls of water to clean our hand and our plates were changed 4-5 times.

"touristy"? yes, but also a lot of Thais (of course either businessmen or from wealty origin) eat there.

we had

poo phad phong karee

pla kao sam rot

hoy lai nam prik phao

phad phak ruam

daengmangkorn

beer

check was 2700 Baht

samak said:yes it is pricey, but quality of food is excellent and service as well

Agreed, but when I am spending that kind of money (I can never get out of there for less than B3K for two), I like a better atmosphere. Too big and bright for an expensive meal IMHO. I take newbie tourist friends there tho'.

And there are Seafood places in Chinatown and elsewhere that are equally as good for 25% of the price.

Cheers,

SD

limbo said:

Hi Suadam,

Any adresses of these than? thanks!

Ya mean the Chinese seafood joints? Naw, I just know how to get to them (but not the street names as Yaowarat always confuses me :dunno:). You'll just have to go with me sometime!

Cheers,

SD

Archived