Bar bells

Traveling all over I have been to many bars. Many, many. On my last trip to thailand I wa soewhere around soi cowboy sitting at a bar with a friend and about 20 girls. Just us and them, pretty sweet right! Way off in the distance I hear what sounds like a bell ringing, but I just keep drinking my beer like a good lush. Then my friend points directly above my head at a bell. Sweet I'll ring it, I grab hold of the rope and pretty much start swinging on it. Ringing it as loud and long as I could. The girls were cheering and everyone was laughing and smiling and loving the farang that looked like a monkey swinging on the bell. Well I stopped to rehydrate and start chugging my beer again. I'm noticing all the girls getting served drinks from the bartender and smiling and thanking me.. oh shit I'm not sure what I did but I think it was pretty dumb. 4000 bahts later I had bought everyone within ear shot of that bell a drink. I was pretty bitter and showed my displeasure by refusing to bar fine any chicks there. I sure showed them! :beer:

Yup, that's what the bell is for -- buy everyone a drink...although some places have changed the rules to make it only for the staff. Pretty dumb to do something with out knowing the concequences, chai mai?

Cheers,

SD

Have done it before a few times when I have been smashed.

What pisses me of sometimes, is when some cheap farangs dont offer to buy you a drink after you have.

I have even some of the mamasams raise their eyebrows in dismay at some of the farangs antics.

Quite funny at times I must say.

Take care

Arkutha

:) :)

i thought it was just the staff who got the drinks?.

i have rang the bell and only paid for the staff drinks,but i wouldn't dream of doing so if it meant buying drinks for 30 falang guys.

amazed at what happened the first time i ever done it.

last day in LOS and about to leave for the Airport in an hour.

rang the bell when only around 8 Girls working and a couple of waitresses,a Barmaid and the Mamasan.

rang it on the way to the toilet and when i returned to my seat i couldn't believe how many people had crawled out of the woodwork to get their drink......::.

even the Guy who handed out flyers 200 Yards down the road was in the Bar and thanking me for the Beer...... :rolleyes:

sayjann said:

i thought it was just the staff who got the drinks

Not originally, but that is what some bars do now. I was at Cathouse last night with Poor Judge & TopCat (of course). I noticed that there were two bells there, one for staff and one for customers.

FYI, it cost B1360 to ring the staff bell last night... :drunk::beer::devil::D

Cheers,

SD

thanks for the info.

as i said i wouldn't dream of buying the drinks for non-staff.

after all i would think the bell was a way of having fun and treating the staff to a drink if you have had a good time and good service.

i would always ring the bell in my regular Bars on my last night because i had been treated well during my nightly visits.

anything from 14-27 nights.

Pom Michael said:

Tiger,

Good on you. We need to keep a close watch on Poor Judge, he is being enticed by other teams to "bat for the other side". I've recruited an Aussie, still need to get us a Brit before next Tuesday.

Cheers!

I'll be there next Tuesday (July 27, 2004). Snagged a young Brit, too, someone I work with.

Well at least I'm not the only one that has had this expierence. When I was telling some ex pats that looked at me like I was an idiot. I will ring the bell again but I'm going to find a bit smaller bar so I don't have to shell out so much cashcola. :beer:

Apropos and because of Suadum's first post on this thread, I recently rang the bell as he arrived at a beer bar I nagged him into visiting. Of course, there were only three girls there so the damage wasn't too bad, and I'd already had a fair amount of fun anyway.

By the way, now in Pattaya there are bell rings solely for the girls on stage. Buying drinks for 6-10 girls is certainly a lot easier than for 30+.

Pom Michael,

"Bat for the other side"? How dare you, I haven't even been to Casanovas! That was no ladyboy, that was... No, no, no. I'm taken aback. Well actually I've never been taken aback--and certainly not at Cascade.

Anyway, NPF II is the home team which I always root, root, root and intend to play for. I won't desert you in your hour of need, unlike certain characters who follow the path of error in Phuket rather than the ways of righteousness here in the City of Angels.

I remain,

A Poor Judge of Character

Archived