How many is dating Uni grads?

chilli13

Married to a Master Graduate from Assumption for a year now. Quite enjoy it, as she is way smarter then I am, and she really can challenge me.

Most of her friends studied at ABAC (Assumption) or Chula, and of course they all went and spent Dads money abroad (Oxford, Australia, Harvard etc... you name it). Talking to them, most say that the Thai Universities are not very good, mostly because of the traditional teaching methods here. And they had to do a lot of Catching up when abroad.

That reminds me... we just were in Europe, and visitied one of her friends who studies in London... she gets an "allowance" of 3500 GBP a month from her dad... and was still complaining...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. Did not see that bit. So both Mahidol and Chula do not take part. The rankings (for the Thai) unis would definately be different. Overall prob Chula, but in Science and Technology, think Mahidol would be on top.

The criteria/scoring in the sci and tech looked reasonable.

-j-

[color:"red"]Besides, my wife is a Chula grad, is quite capable of holding her own in any business scenario and has worked for MNCs in Singapore, Japan and the States!

Cheers,

[/color]

Thanks for the nice info., I know that there are some bad ones anywhere including the MIT grads, who I had worked with.

I did not graduate from Thammasart but spend over 1 year there, someone will say that I went to a bad univ. and cannot hold my own?

Another thing I want to point out, there is no way ones can compare 2 universities who use different languages, but if you start questioning some knowledge that they learn, the Thais can compete, I know I did it.

:D

Jasmine

[color:"red"] Talking to them, most say that the Thai Universities are not very good, mostly because of the traditional teaching methods here. And they had to do a lot of Catching up when abroad.

[/color]

It is true that such methods need to change and in many faculties have been trying to change.

However, as a friend of mine who teaches says "It is very hard to teach the kids who spent 12 years listening and memorizing to learn how to analyze in 4 years. The kids who came out well normally have different family background that supports the children to analyze and think." Her statement is true so back to square one again, the children needs to be taugt way before entering a univ. to think.

As long as there are teachers who do not like children to "disobey" by questioning and so on, the children will just get by and by the time they are 15, the brain cells will just stop being so analytical. :(

Many of us have a hard time in Western universities because the methods taught, however, it does not take very long to change if we want to survive.

The worst part is that these graduates go back to Thailand to work and got branded as "too radical", real predicament :(

Jasmine

"...from what I remember, G/F said that ABAC only allows conversation there in English, so is concidered quite difficult by many Thai standards. Is this true? "

Not sure what U mean, classes there are in english but outside class students speak the language they want. even have some classes taught in thai, like thai economic law, or something similar.

Funny stuff is my ex went there while not beeing remotely fluent in english :( didn't know wich countries had a land border with the States and other easy geographical stuff like this :( :( Great mouth though

[color:"red"] even have some classes taught in thai, like thai economic law, or something similar.

Funny stuff is my ex went there while not beeing remotely fluent in english didn't know wich countries had a land border with the States and other easy geographical stuff like this Great mouth though

[/color]

You are right only classes taught in English do not allow ones to speak anything else but English. These classes do not have to be English, there was 2 classes in Economics and International Relations in my Thammasart time which were taught in English.

I don't know how the univ. are doing now, but in my old HS (Triam Udom) still uses English only in English classes.

I met a few teachers in my last trip, they said that only some certain classes can use English only becuase the quality of students.

Jasmine

How thailand is set up school-wise, it makes sense that the top universities are gov schools.

The ones who pass the qualifying test get admitted plus i assume some leniency for VIP offspring.

So that leaves the rest who go to lessor gov schools and private universities....

So I wonder what is the relationship between brains (or lack of/laziness) and looks and could it be applied to the schools that you identify as the ones with lookers?

Somethings never change.....

Cardinalblue

sorry was bit quick with this poll so only included most 'common' BKK UNI's IMO & forgot the other option!

not too sure how the 'too rich hopeless' get into chula as I understand a test in english(TOEFL) as well as general admittance is to be passed for most unless there's a way too big 'VIP' group who gets accepted based on who their parents are etc.?

I'm sure it was & I can only envy you that insight as all I managed so far was 5 months at NTU in Sillypore ;)

frogpatrol said:
ib13 said:

I also wonder how many if any at all on this board ever studied in a LOS or asian university?

I have, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made in terms of sinking myself into Thai culture.

froggo

Archived