How many is dating Uni grads?

chilli13

ib13,

I might be wrong, but i don't think there is a TOFEL like test to get into chula.

There might be an english section as part of the general test or there might be an englsih requirement for specific international programs.

I will ask my chula friend what gives. I am also curious about her own class standing. She is extremely bright and my guess she is in the top 5% of her class. If she tells me differently like in the middle of the pack, then my perception of chula at least will change.

As to rich kids getting into chula. I think it is pretty cut and dry (test score) as we learned recently from the PM daughter's situation.

My take of it is is that you pass the test or not. There might be some backdoor stuff happening for a few but i don't think it is rampant.

Unless the rich kid is totally unmotivated, just plain stupid, problem student, or some other excuse, i would think rich kids due to the benefit of all the educational advantages that they are in, do pretty well on the main placement test.

There is probably a good share of rich kids who don't get a good enough score to get admitted into chula so they end up at all these provate universities around. I know of plenty of those students floating around.

My point is that what you see at chula and thammasat is pretty accuarate (too much at stake to let in a bunch of rich dumb kids) and not just a bunch of rich kids. The rich kids that are there just happen to be smart rich kids (thai standards). My understanding is that chula has a good mix of socio-econ kids...

I think if you are looking for dumb rich kids, one will find them at the private university which there seems to be many....

Cardinalblue

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you're right there's no TOFEL test for Chula, but there's another 'english test' as part of the entry requirements & a friend of my GF just failed that one so that's how I know.

TOFEL is used if the students want to apply for overseas exchange I understand.

regarding class standings and all I guess it differs a lot whether it's graduate or undergraduate classes were talking here, but as we all know emphasis is on memory as opposed to analysis.

anyways I've yet to meet a thai analytical girl, but then again I've yet to meet a cute euro gal!

cheers!

When I say she is bright, I am making my judgment on her motivations, her interests, her curiousity, her initiative, her knowldege and finally her achievements....

Yes, you are correct that Thais are not strong on analytical skills. It just isn't part of their formal education/life systems.

But then again, many students in the west me included memorized to get by in many subjects. It is learning how to take tests.

Whether she is intelligent or not, I would bet that she would do quite well on however they measure Thai intelligence. Just a gut feeling but really a defenseless statement on my part unless properly tested...

Intelligence is a tricky word and one that is thrown around here on the board quite a lot. Yet no one has stepped forward to claim to be an expert in the subject..

I remember studying psychological testing and profiling (including IQ tests) in school on how they are constructed. It is a very fascinating and contoversial subject...

I always get a kick out of some people who keep saying how a certain group of people are intelligent or not. I always wonder on how they reach their conclusion? I would suspect they would be very disappointed in the results if they were ever tested. I suspect their beliefs are more in hoping/association-driven than anything else....

Cardinalblue

[color:"red"] My take of it is is that you pass the test or not. There might be some backdoor stuff happening for a few but i don't think it is rampant.

[/color]

IMO, you are very correct about the situation.

I went to Triam Udom HS which was in 1967, the entrance test was very difficult and I was one of the 6 kids from up country who passed. The class had 127 students. 5 years prior to the time, the HS was the prep school for Chula, so the 95% of graduates went to Chula (with the entrance exam of course).

It is true that there are some kids who were not capable of passing the tests either or both to my HS or the Univ. , exams can get in. There was one in my HS. It took him a year longer to graduate and could not pass the test to go to a univ. He was one of the 3 persons who did not pass the entrance exam to get into any Univ. of our class. :(

It happens, IMO, the pressure on these people can make them study though. The guy I mentioned studied very hard, he was also, very humble, still is even though his family is one of the richest in Thailand. I think what happened to him was that he was talented in art not anything else, he did fine in an art college in Boston and ended up with both BA and MA in graphics and paintings.

I knew of a woman whose family members went to Chula only, and was pressured into getting into Chula, took 3 tries (years) to pass the exam and had to drop out in the 2nd year from Chula (which was very bad for her) and was scared for life.

I feel it is wrong to pressure kids to get into some study that they hate.

Because of graduating from that HS, I was pressured to get into Chula, not me, I selected only one Univ., one faculty (could select 3 choices) that was Thammasart. It is difficult for kids at 17 to know what she/he wants to do the rest of one's life, and in Thailand once you chose a major, it is hard to change.

My niece is in the 11th grade now and 2 years from now, it is her time to enter a univ., Thailand will not have entrance exams then, will select the kids by their grade averages and their choice of a univ. She just wants to get into a univ. outside of BKK that has a faculty of her interest that is "archeology" so Chula is not in her interest and she hates BKK so up-country-kid she will be.

Jasmine

'I've yet to meet a cute euro gal! '

Ouchh! So many stunning birds in french streets!! :p Really a shame rape is so widely misunderstood and repressed

:doah:

Guest lazyphil

My Mrs cousin graduated at Kassart Uni, works for a Jap company, own car, lives with folks, no bf/kids, met her last trip first, lovely girl, too busy with work for a boyfriend, lives for work but wants to visit us someday, I have one or two friends who'd try and seduce her!

Archived