"Never was a colony" attitude of Thais

jasmine

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shygye said:

China has a goal of 350 MILLION English speakers by the 2008 Olympics. If Thailand is to move forward economicly instead of moving backward, it should make learning languages a top priority. Whether that language is English or Japanese or Chinese.

I understand the point, but here in the USA, there is really no push to learn any foreign languages, all up to the individual. Of course we also have a steady stream of native speakers migrating here to draw from...and I would argue we are moving backwards as well...

O.k. but if we use that muscle, and bury our heads in the sand, we will eventually fall to those who don't, such as China, who are apparently making an attempt to not fall into the same trap. We cannot me arrogant and rest on our laurals for ever...

The USA has proven beyond any doubt, like it or not, good and the bad blablahhh.... it can go around the world, export its ideals, its capitalism, its ways of life, and of course settle its armies for a while, without having to learn a language.

Better stick to Jasmine's topic which is about Thailand, not bring in America, which would only prove its omnipotency, no?

Old Hippie said:
shygye said:

China has a goal of 350 MILLION English speakers by the 2008 Olympics. If Thailand is to move forward economicly instead of moving backward, it should make learning languages a top priority. Whether that language is English or Japanese or Chinese.

I understand the point, but here in the USA, there is really no push to learn any foreign languages, all up to the individual.

Is that the case in all school districts? When I went to high school in the US (12 years ago) learning a foreign language was mandatory.

Of course with the exception of Spanish in the US and French in Canada it's almost impossible to practice.

Cheers!

I think all countries try to teach their children pride in their country and society.

this seems to be going a little far in todays world.

Maybe the Thais think they are better than the Indians, Phillipinos etc that use their English language skills to get jobs that the USA etc are outsourcing.

Like it or not English is the worlds language and not teaching it will only hurt Thailand.

Archived