Tax attack could end frequent-flyer boom

O.k. back on topic here... The airlines would love to see this end as well, giving to much away. At least they'd like to curtail how the miles are accumulated. At any point, the goernment views them as a perk, or part of income, the way they did company cars and insurance and gas etc...now want to here the real bullshit? There have been many bills, slowly gaining support, to tax medical benifits the same way! I work for an airline, I can fly at a deep discount (no longer free, for tax reasons) I only get that seat if it is empty, and still have to pay a fee. The IRS says I should be taxed on the value of that seat based on day of departure fare (the highest fare) less what I pay. Keep in mind the seat has no value as it would be empty if an employee wasn't in it. The IRS is evil, and it and this tax crap must stop!

Khun_Kong said:

TTM-

The Sun-Herald is published where?

In Sydney. It's a small format offshot of the Sydney Morning Herald that's not published on Sundays.

Edit: I am not sure now if Sun Herald is connected to the SMH, I am mixing Herald Sun and Sun Herald. One of them is.

Never read neither of them (they are less explictit version of Thai Rak but still).

AmoresPerros said:

Ok guys a question:

how do I manage to gain points on a star alliance frequent flyer program when I purchase goods or services using a Premier or a Gold card

AP, feeling he missed something :(

A Credit card company has to have an agreement with the alliance/airline.

Amex has with several airlines, Diners and Visa too.

What the guy is talking about is - using corporate credit card for business related expenses (which is mandatory when such a card is issued) but collecting points and transferring them to FF membership.

Also, managers/owners from small companies would use that card to pay all company's expenses and supplies.

OH,

Airlines like AA make big profits off their FF programs. The CC companies, hotels, etc. BUY the miles from AA. The airlines control the number of seats allocated (if any) for redemption PLUS set the price in miles. Most of the miles will never be used (just like rebates) because it so difficult to get dates and destination.

Archived