Cambodia/PP - place to stay, places to have fun?

kamui

kamui said:

@bibblies

If have read the board in the last days. I don't want to discuss it here but I found the general attitude of this board concerning low end prostitution and NGOs quite disgusting. This board showed me again why I am a member of Nanaplaza.com since two years...

Well, you did ask about 'guest friendly' hotels so I didn't think you were a monk. km11's just a name, like nanaplaza.com. They changed it to south-east asia board or something I can't remember, but km11 redirects and it's more memorable (for me anyway). From reading a few posts on the board, it seems as though k11 itself is pretty much considered out of bounds these days. I've never posted there, just read a few posts every few months but I don't get the same idea about their attitude to NGOs, etc. There's another board called Khmer440, I think, which you may find more to your taste. Personally, for what it's worth, I think it's splitting straws.

I stayed in Paris Hotel two years ago. $15 a night, clean and guest-friendly.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bibblies said:
kamui said:

@bibblies

If have read the board in the last days. I don't want to discuss it here but I found the general attitude of this board concerning low end prostitution and NGOs quite disgusting. This board showed me again why I am a member of Nanaplaza.com since two years...

Well, you did ask about 'guest friendly' hotels so I didn't think you were a monk. km11's just a name, like nanaplaza.com. They changed it to south-east asia board or something I can't remember, but km11 redirects and it's more memorable (for me anyway). From reading a few posts on the board, it seems as though k11 itself is pretty much considered out of bounds these days. I've never posted there, just read a few posts every few months but I don't get the same idea about their attitude to NGOs, etc. There's another board called Khmer440, I think, which you may find more to your taste. Personally, for what it's worth, I think it's splitting straws.

I stayed in Paris Hotel two years ago. $15 a night, clean and guest-friendly.

Well,

you have misread my post since I didn't say anything against prostitution, but against the terrible forms of it. Just read KS' sticky on low end prostitution about brothels in Cambodia. The concerned forum openly supports this kind of brothels. For them this kind of brothels are good places to go (there is evidently a deep regret that KM11/Svay Pak is nearly closed for foreigners) and their concern is not the situation of the girls but the work of ALL NGOs who work against forced prostitution (some of the NGOs might be playing a foul game, but I don't think that they all are bad). Actually you will find open hostility and hatred against NGOs on this board.

Anyway I only know a few bits about low end prostitution in PP and not from first hand experience and I have no plans to get in contact with this scene during my upcoming trip. For this reason and because I did not like a place like "Martinis" where the girls were extremly pushy I asked for decent places.

Nevertheless thanks for the hotel tip.

Wow, has this thread taken a turn. If anyone cares, the Hotel Recommendation that I couldn't remember was River Star.

http://www.travel-cambodia.com/river-star.htm

www.khmer440.com is less P4P oriented than km11.com and also includes other countries besides just Cambodia.

Totally agree with what Khun Sanuk had to say about low-end brothels in Cambodia, I have never been to one. But the places I mentioned in my original post (with the exception of Martini's) seems to be frequented by normal (non-indentured) freelancers. Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

I am definately not an NGO fan, and it saddens me that being American we are some of the worst offenders in this area of the world. Have never seen more SUV's in my life--worth more than 10 Khmers will make in their lifetime. Won't go into more detail--don't want to step over the political line here.

DR

I doubt you need to book a double! Cambodia's crying out for tourists.

I'm not aware that anyone in Martini's is forced to go there. I'd consider it the equivalent of Thermae in many ways (i.e. lots of dubious characters). Sharky's is another well-known bar - probably much more to your taste, kamui - with pool, fun waitresses (Khmer and Vietnamese) and good food too. And there was a good Thai place nearby last time I went.

Is Howie's bar still going? That was O.K and Howie's a good guy. Walkabout bar must still be there too.

Plenty of places that are fun - just check out the little free booklets that are in every Hotel/bar. Or just walk around. Phnom Penh's small, isn't that dangerous and people are friendly.

I didn't think much of Cambodian food so ended up eating Vietnamese, Thai and anything else. Sophie's Kitchen is a good Singapore/Malaysian food place. Look it up.

Thanks guys!

I think I will have a good time in PP. I will look for a hotel after my arrival. A room with a view on the river would be great.

Any recommendations for interesting places besides PP and Angkor? It would be nice to travel a bit in the countryside...

PS: During the short period of time I visited Cambo in 2002 I wasn't impressed by the Khmer food either compared to Thai food. Is the difference that big, or didn't I go to right places?

since I didn't say anything against prostitution, but against the terrible forms of it.

--------------------------

Coss, delete if off topic, but i would say that the problems some have with Cambodia, is that the low-end and high end (??) sides of prostitution are a lot more tied as far as the people/bosses/middlemen who help provide workers to the trade.

I think kamui said he is quite interested in a lot of things other than sex, so he will no doubt open his mind and curiosity, and be himself able to get his own feeling about it when he visits the places, read and listen too, and make up his own mind, beyond just picking up a mutually consenting adult.

I have stayed at the Golden Bridge on Road 278 (near Sihanouk and Monivong roads) several times and like it, although the last time was wakened early by construction on a building behind the hotel. Recommend getting a room at the front. The people that own the place own 3 or 4 hotels on the same street. Guest friendly, although you must wake the guard (bang on the door) if you come in late. $13 per night and they do your laundry for free but you are expected to leave the laundry lady a tip when you check-out.

The woman I hang out with in PP would not go to the Heart of Darkness. She said too much shooting. A lot of drugged up people last time I was there. More like the Heart of Wierdness.

zen

Archived