Shit! Overstayed my visa (by 23 days so far) - advice please?

bibblies

Doh! blush.gif" border="0 I've just looked in my passport, and after months of idly taking 10 Jan 2002(date by which last tourist visa had to be used) as my last date, I realised it was actually 13 December 2001. Doh! Doh! Doh! mad.gif" border="0

I intend to leave around 20 Jan, though I haven't got a ticket back yet. I usually do the 500B visa extension thing at Soi Suan Plu. What's the best thing to do? Just ride it out until I leave and own up at the airport, or to go to humbly explain my (genuine) mistake at Suan Plu and hope they'll let me stay until 20th with a fine?

(I've been here over 10 times here before without a problem)

Any advice?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bibblies-

Doh (with large slap on the head)..

I always tell my friends that you never want to be on the wrong side of Immigration Laws when YOU are the alien..

I'd fess up to the misstake, pay the fine (if they impose one) and consider it a good lesson...

--UPS

PS: Others may disagree, but me personally, I make it point never to goof around with legal issues especially when I am the foreigner and subject to THEIR laws, not mine.

I totally agree with UPSer. Always walk the straight and narrow when in a foreign country. Even in a place like Thailand, were rules were made to be bent, you never can be sure when some official is going to decide its time to 'make an example of these arrogant foreigners who thumb their noses at our laws - its time to bring them to heel!'

JG

The bottom line is that if you get caught / picked up for anything / in some sort of trouble and your visa status is known to immigration, you are in trouble. Go to the Cambodian border right this moment. Pay a fine at the border, go into Cambodia, and come back right away with a new 30 day visa. While it is unlikely you'll get picked up, if you do, it could be BIG trouble!

Stick

Good advice,Stickman. The 3000 baht minibus visa run to border will be offset against the continuing daily overstay fine that is building up. What is it now 200 or 500/day? And you won't have to look over your shoulder for the rest of your holiday.

Perhaps this is an opportune moment for BankokPhil to repost his ONE day overstay horror story!

Good luck, mate. Tell us what happens re fine amount. Others would be interested I'm sure.

Take advice of the stickmans post,but whatever you do,do it now.I overstayed with no good reason in 1998 for just 12 days,and was given a right grilling before they took the overstay fine of 2400 baht,at the airport.Overriding memory was the immigration guy in no uncertain terms making it clear that I would NOT be overstaying again.Back of the passport stamped as well with overstay.

You may find that some embassies may not be amused when they see the overstay in your passport if you want a two month visa, etc. I would not go anywhere near the immigration office unless you want to be locked up. Flying to Signapore is another relatively cheap option, Swiss air go in the morning and come back in the night for around 5000 baht. The airport is probably an easier touch that some far flung frontier post! Also saw an advert for overstay visa fixing in the Bangkok Post or Pattaya Mail but don't have the details.

Yep, Rictic is correct. From BKK direct early morning bus or overnight bus to Aranyaprathet border crossing very cheap.

I was thinking you lived in Pattaya. If you're trying to do the same day visa run from Pattaya previous posters suggest that the bus changing hassle from Pattaya is not worth the trouble; take the minibus visa package if you're based in Pattaya.

Good luck, mate. Keep us posted.

quote:

Originally posted by UPSer:

bibblies-

I'd fess up to the misstake, pay the fine (if they impose one) and consider it a good lesson...

--UPS

Pay the fine where, Upser? Where's best - Immigration Office, Don Muang, or obscure border town. I'd leave my big bags in my apartment - they'd let me back, wouldn't they?

My preference would be Suan Plu, then a flight to Phnom Penh/whatever. I've found the folks at Immigration Suan Plu to be pretty nice - they even waived the 500 baht on my last extension. I look fairly young and innocent compared to some of what they might consider 'low-lifes' traipsing through their offices.

Yep, I've read all the stories..

Archived