Shit! Overstayed my visa (by 23 days so far) - advice please?

bibblies

Hi

Sorry but the advice from Upser is not good and could land you in jail, If you show your passport to any policeman or immigration official before you are at either a border crossing or at the immigration at Don Muang you will be arrested on the spot as an illegal alien.

The advice from stickman and others that said go to the border right away is correct, Not trying to scare you but if you just leave the country and do not show any official your passport before you get to a border crossing or Don Muang immigration as you are leaving Thailand you will be fine. You will be charged 200 baht per day also no mater what you look like, Hope this info helps you.

Racha

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Racha, head for the border.If you go to Suan Plu with an overstay they will hold you and then take you to the airport, in one or two days time. Possibly even insist on you flying home not to a neighboring country. I know a few people that have had longinsh overstays that were held in immigration for a few days. they have to take you to courtfor to fine you. If you turn up at a border post your allready leaving and they accept the fine and away you go and come back.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I think I'll try the airport. (Never done the bus trip, but I think it's a long 4 hours each way, isn't it?) There's no problem in that, is there?

In a logical world, you would have thought that going to Suan Plu and deliberately paying the fine would have been OK, but I've had experience of Thai ways..

The problem with Suan Plu is that you were on 23 days overstay a few days ago. there is no way of legitamising an extension, if you'd gon in within a day or so yes but they would have done the 14 days and then 7 days extension on you, as it stands yould now still be illegal. No way out of that.

My understanding is that if you surrender yourself to the Immigration Office at Suan Plu, then you are only liable to a fine up to a maximum of 20,000 baht just as at Don Muang. On the other hand, if you are apprehended rather than surrender, then you will be put in jail, taken to court and deported.

However since your personal liberty is at stake, I would strongly suggest that you not rely on my advice or on that of any other member of this board, but instead get PROFESSIONAL advice immediately. Several people have told me

http://visathailand.com

is good on immigration matters. (I have personally dealt with them only a little, but they seem highly competent.)

Just looked at that site. It says:

" In normal cases, such as when a passport has expired and the owner surrenders to the Immigration Office, the owner will be fined Baht 200 per day from the date of passport expiration up to the day of surrendering. By surrendering, the owner of the passport will only have to pay a fine up to the maximum of Baht 20,000.

However, it is important to remember that if your visa has expired even for just one day, and you do not surrender but are apprehended by immigration officials or the police, you will automatically be taken to court. If your court hearing is held on a Friday and you pay your fine the same day, in accordance with the court order, it does not mean that your case has ended. The Immigration Bureau still has to pursue your case by deporting you. Therefore, you will need to have a confirmed air ticket together with sufficient money for transportation to the airport. If you cannot meet those requirements, you will be detained in the Immigration Bureau jail until you are able to acquire a confirmed ticket and sufficient cash for the trip to the airport. "

But if I surrender and pay, would I be able to stay an extra two weeks, or would I have to go in and out anyway?

quote:

Originally posted by rictic:

The problem with Suan Plu is that you were on 23 days overstay a few days ago. there is no way of legitamising an extension, if you'd gon in within a day or so yes but they would have done the 14 days and then 7 days extension on you, as it stands yould now still be illegal. No way out of that.

I was on a tourist 60-day visa, so I would have got 30 days, then 14, then 7. I already did it last year. I just forgot this time.

The advice of being at an exit point on the way out when you pay the fine is really what should be done if you have already overstayed. However, i have paid the fine at the immigration office (bkk) and was not hassled in any way. I was on a standard 30 day visa and needed a few more days, so on the thirtieth day i went to immigration for a 10 day extension. But due to a series of incidents i didnt make it there by closing time. I was quite busy at the time and waited four or five days later to go, paid the fine, and got the extension. I knew i was taking a chance, which is why i took care of everything i needed to do before going.

The more time i spend in los the more i think most things just come down to one basic principle; most things will be fine as long as they get your money. But come to think of it, its pretty much the same everywhere else in the world too.

Archived