Shit! Overstayed my visa (by 23 days so far) - advice please?

bibblies

racha--

To defend myself, what I meant to communicate was to pay the fine when you leave.. It was not intended to mean "go to the police and fess up to being an persona non-grata".. I agree with you that this would land yourself in dention right quick.

My intent was for the poster to go to border post and be fully prepared to pay the fine there (and maybe taking a verbal grilling also) then comeback "legit"..

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bibblies, I've paid the fine at Suan Phluu two times (6 days overstay the first time, and 3 days the second). The "Overstay Office" used to be on the second floor (Room #206?). No questions asked. After paying, I went downstairs and applied for a 30-day extension as usual. But, if I remember correctly, the extension was counted starting with the expiry date on the visa.

Still, better not to overstay, and this time I'm double-checking my passport!

Cheers!

Hi UPSer,

I was not having a go at you personally no need to defend yourself, I just have a strong opinion about this subject as over the years I have heard of a few people and also know personally of people getting arrested trying to do this, I was trying to save bibblies from possibly getting in to trouble,

Racha,

23 days overstay is a piece of cake. just do what sticky said.

by the way, once a friend with an overstay of more than a year asked me to accompany him to give himself up to the immigration. the officers just looked at him, said, "can you please come back on monday, we really don't have the time to arrest you now".

we had to beg the officer in charge to arrest him. he finally said that he can't promise, my friend should wait in front of the office, later they might have time to arrest him. after two hours or so waiting they finally arrested him.

One of my mates has just come back from a visa trip to Singapore after a 37 day overstay, his third overstay!!!

He reported no problems at the airport leraving and no problems obataining another visa in Singapore???

I guess it depends on the mood of the Immigration officials at the time. I also understand that the "Overstay Counters" at the immigration offices are for paying the fine and becoming legit again before heading to the airport where detention and grilling could lead to missed flights.

Don't know how long they'd let you stay on for though after payment of the fine.

• 1 month later...

Nice one.

Pity it was 31 barfines smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

The last time I paid my overstay fine was at the airport (again smile.gif" border="0 )

I actually felt quite relaxed about it as I went through immigration shortly before my flight was due (by accident rather than design) and I figured that with my luggage already loaded onto the Jumbo jet that if they lock me up then they are going to have to unload the bloody thing to find my bag or fly with unaccompanied baggage - which I believe was MEANT to always be a no no, even before 11 Sept - although in practice whether this was / is enforced is another thing.

(BTW I did look suitably contrite and I was ready with a "sob story" about being sick etc if needed - which as usual it wasn't. This is obvioulsy NOT recomended, especially because one day they will probably start making examples of people - probably in the middle of the high season smile.gif" border="0 )

[ March 01, 2002: Message edited by: Mr_Teapot ]

quote:

Originally posted by bibblies:

I finally left yesterday, after 77 days overstay. No problems at all at the airport. It took all of 1 minute to sign a form, pay up (15,400) and have my passport nicely stamped.

Was your passport stamped "overstay" ?

Ultra,

Don't go near Immigration office.You can find yourself from monkeyhouse. Just leave the coutry,pay 200 Thb/ overstayday and come back. This kind of things happen all the time. You are not the first one.

Archived