Did I just get "sick buffalo'ed"?

Moo_Uan

I'm one month away from my next trip to LOS. On most of my trips to LOS, I have spend a couple of days with a certain freelancer that I have known for about 4 years. This time I have taken the unusual step, as to ask her to join me on a 4 day trip to Penang. She said she would be happy to do so, so I've booked airtickets and Hotel.

However when I talked with her I sensed that something was wrong. She said it was no problem to get time off from her regular daytime job as a secretary as there was "not much work to do".

Tonight she called me and said she had lost her job and that her landlord would throw her out tomorrow if she did not pay the outstanding rent. She cried and asked me to wire 5.000B.

Well, I'm going to send her the money. It's not a lot of money to me and, this girl has never hit me for money before outside the usual LT - fees.

But I am wondering what's to come. She turns 31 next time, and has just failed her first serious attempt at a regular non-p4p career, so probably more hard luck stories.

And I'm also wondering if I wan't her to go with me to Penang. I'm no Mother Theresa, and if she is in real trouble and emotionally stressed, then she can give me a hard time and spoil my trip.

:(

You say that you've known her for 4 years but how much contact do you really have with her outside of LOS ? Maybe not all is as it seems ?

Sure, she is reaching the final few furlongs of her most productive years but surely she would have something stashed away for a rainy day ? I mean, you know she's been on the game for at least 4 years.

She may have lost a sponsor, she may have seen her earnings fall off this last year or she may see you as some kind soul who can deliver a financial injection if not quite be her white knight.

The words "throw her out tomorrow" don't add up. Few landlords kick someone out the day the rent is due but her english may be partly to blame.

You've obviously had good times with her in the past although it seems like you do not spend all your time in LOS with her. For Bt5k I'd likely give it a last hurrah but be prepared to cut it short and cut her loose should things not work out. Either way, I get the feeling that this is the last holiday together.

>The words "throw her out tomorrow" don't add up. Few landlords kick someone out the day the rent is due but her english may be partly to blame.

My opinion too.

I know of one particularly problematic girl who did all sorts of shits to her landlord (who owns and lives in the same building), including a suicide attempt with ambulance, police and rotating lights.

Out of 12 months she was late with rent 10 times, anything between 1 and 6 weeks. Twice a year she would be given verbal notice to move out.

Once she was told not to take out with her anything larger than a gym bag (fridge, tv...etc.. to stay for the landlord to recoup his rent).

She is still there and knows she won't be thrown out. Don't know what else she has to do to find herself sleeping under a bridge.

Pay your rent or else - reads the leases. In the lower rent areas, if rent is not paid, expect to be locked out. Some places give a grace period, some do not.

As for the girl friend having some savings - you can forget that. If she had a job as a secretary and was free lancing on the side, that generally means her main job was not making enough so to make ends meet, she sells her body at times. Those that work and sell there bodies at times generally fall in the pattern of having sold everything else they owm, they sell the last thing they have - themself.

Being she did have a regular job, you might want to give her second thoughts. She probably hasn't developed the lying mentality of a bar girl and may be still seeking out a real relationship. If this is the case, you might want to meet her half way.

Good luck.

>Pay your rent or else - reads the leases. In the lower rent areas, if rent is not paid, expect to be locked out. Some places give a grace period, some do not.

Places that require deposit of 2-3 months rent usually don't kick them out straight away. When the deposit left may not be enough, then it gets serious but still.

If there are 3 girls living together and one does not come up with the money, they are not going to lock them out altogether.

The rent amount the girl I mentioned is 2500B per month. High up Soi 71 and then about 1 mile to the right, not a very Hi-So area.

What would I do in this situation: I would send her 5K baht, good chance she is in genuine need and stop there until more convincing is done on the spot.

I'm quite sure she has no savings and that her moneyproblem is real. Don't know if it actually concerns the rent or something else - doesn't really matter to me.

This girl has been a freelancer for the last 10 years (Novotel, Spasso, Gullivers). She has a son living with her parents. A couple of years ago she got this regular daytime job and probably hoped it could support her instead of the futureless 4p4 business.

So, I'm just worried that this is the first of a series of hard luck stories.

"...Sure, she is reaching the final few furlongs of her most productive years but surely she would have something stashed away for a rainy day ? I mean, you know she's been on the game for at least 4 years..."

I highly doubt she has any money left...I don't know to many girls with anything to show for their life's work...

I'm a bit surprised to see everyone going soft here. Of course she is being disingenuous. Let me guess, she wants you to pay the full rent as it just so happens she has exactly 0 baht she can apply towards it??? Gee, what a coincidence! And a nice round number 5000 baht rental for a thai in that situation? That's a bit suspicious as Thai's in that situation mostly like the 2000 baht range. If you want a good laugh, see how she responds when you say you are going to make the transfer directly to the owner?s account instead of hers.

But so what, if you like her go ahead and take care of her. It?s not so much and she might put it to good use (send to family). Just don't be surprised when the next "crisis" comes your way in short order and it's bigger than the last one. My 2 baht...

Hi,

Don't want to alarm you, but if she just got fired now (at the end of the month), then she just got 30 days wages given to her, same as if she would, if had not been fired.

Wages are generaly paid 30 days in arrears in Thailand, for secretary jobs.

She would only be in trouble with landlord next month, when paycheck would be absent, for not working *this* month (not last). Think about it!

Sorry to have to point this out to you. :( I'm in the camp that says you are being played by a girl who has been in the scene the whole time.

Likely scenario is that she never worked secretary job, and has been playing you all along. Latest BS is a great reason for not having to show you where she works, or where she lives when you show up, and seemingly totally dependent on you now.

Prove this old, cynical, bastard wrong, can you? :)

HT

HT

I know she has been in the freelancer scene the whole time, but I also know that her daytime job was very real. I've actually visited her at the office where she worked and met her boss and collegues which were definitely not in the 4p4 business.

I would expect that she was actually fired a couple of month ago.

Anyway, I'll just see what happens next. If she hits me for more money I'll just cut her loose

Archived