Thai Proverb with English Equivalence

jasmine

Hello,

Thai says "หน้าเนึ้อใจเสัอ (Na Nue Jai Sur" as in English : A fox in lamb's skin" or The smitter with the knife under the cloak".

My mother has said this many times for the past few years just to warn me that the people nowadays (in Thailand) seems to get worse about sincerity. I am warned a lot because being away from Thailand for 35 years, I remember mostly how nice most Thais were when I was growing up. :(

Jasmine

[color:"red"] Have you forgotten again how to post Thai on this board? Or have you forgotten Thai language at all??

[/color]

Why this question?

The post has in Thai and I can read it from here!!! :(

Not nice to try to confuse an old lady, eh? :D

Jasmine

jasmine said:

The post has in Thai and I can read it from here!!!

Khun Mae, sorry, but the Thai font does show for me either. There is a bug in the program that forces one to switch to Thai encoding (from the view menu) brofre typing in Thai. To read the Thai, one also has to switch encoding. This is for IE, I do not knwo about other browsers. Jing jing!

Is this it? ˹éÒà¹ÖéÃã¨àÊÑà -- "face of a deer, heart of a tiger", chai mai? It is kinda like ã¨ÊѵÇì -- jai sat or "animal heart" (a non-human acting person)

Cheers,

SD

[color:"red"] Is this it? ˹éÒà¹ÖéÃã¨àÊÑà -- "face of a deer, heart of a tiger", chai mai? It is kinda like ã¨ÊѵÇì -- jai sat or "animal heart" (a non-human acting person)

[/color]

Not [color:"red"]ã¨ÊѵÇì -- jai sat [/color]. It is " ã¨àÊÑà "-cruel heart like a tiger.

[color:"red"] ã¨ÊѵÇì -- jai sat [/color] means the heart of an animal, can be any animal, not as feared or honored as a [color:"red"] ã¨àÊÑà [/color].

By the way I have only one child, and don't want any other people to adopt me as their " Khun Mae", ok? :)

Jasmine :D

the obvious English equivalent is

"Wolf in sheep's clothing."

Obviously means that a person's character shouldn't be taken at face value, like "you can't judge a book by looking at the cover", all is not as it seems "emperor's new clothes" etc.

Or there is the rather more elaborate one akin to "a leopard can't change its spots" which is "You can take a fox out of the country but you can't take the country out of a fox."

Archived