Win XP SP2 available

carlton68

Hi,

for the ones of you who are waiting for Win XP SP2. Final release is available here . It's 265 MB and as far as I can see only english and german :: available.

This is the version for people who want to install it more than once. If you are only updating one PC you better wait a few days and go via Windows update, then Windows update will determine what you need and only download between 80 and 100 MB.

I am already downloading, let's see how long this takes and what happens if I install it.

Dunno what you'll do, but I will backup my system before I apply SP2.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Carlton68. Well it takes a lot longer to read the deployment guides than to D/L the file. It will be interesting to see how well it integrates with a) installed beta versions B) on machines that the beta version conflicted c) slipstreamed installs I create.

Should be *fun*. (Why do I always have the premonition that I am going to learn way more about the latest Windows update, than I ever anticipated:banghead: )

Had a fiddle with the Beta versions for testing purposes. Wasnt impressed by the "security manger" that enforces itself on you like some jumped up backwater redneck cop ... you WILL download these updates or i'll bug you about it for the rest of the day ::

MightyMouse said:

I would reccommend this version of Win XP SP2 because if you do not have your original CDs, you will have a problem.

why would that be ???????????

All the SP2 versions create a special restore point and are uninstallable through the 'remove programs' in the contol panel.

:doah:

Hi,

already installed SP2 so I will give a little update on it.

During the night my ISP cut off the connection so download stopped at 244MB out of 265MB for both the german and english version of SP2. I could resume download of the german version in Operas download manager, but had to restart download of the english version. Who to blame for this? My ISP, Telekom (who owns the wire), Opera or M$? Don't know, will not find out.

Installation was quite smooth but took a while. Had my P2P software running during SP2-install, no problem there. After reboot I had to disable automatic update and then my first struggle with the security center: a small icon in system tray told me that automatic update is turned off and no antivirus installed. Funny, antivir was up and running. My daily update of antivir brought a version change from 6.26 to 6.27, and all of a sudden security center aknowledged that antivir is running. Congrats for the nice guys from antivir to be that fast. I turned the new Windows XP firewall off as I read it only blocks incoming traffic. And I already have a grown-up firewall running that I am very happy with. For the ones who went without a firewall it will be an improvement for sure. Still had the little icon in the system tray nagging me. To deactivate this go to security center, left side downmost link, there you can uncheck all three boxes if you like.

Also had IE and WMP appear in quick launch even I kicked it off some time ago. Kicked it off again.

I read many times that SP2 would reduce download rates for P2P by reducing the number of half-open connections (can't explain better, search yourself if interested). I ran XP-Antispy after installing SP2 because there is a setting to disable reduction of bandwidth. No idea if this changed anything and if SP2 was reducing these connections in any way. My P2P is running as fast as before. On various discussion boards and on a page with M$ they talk about setting up the key TcpNumConnections in the registry to overcome the limitation. For the ones that feel any limitation in download speed and are brave enough... my download rates are ok so I don't touch the registry.

On my german computer I had a small problem opening avi-files with DivX-Player. Doulble-clicking on the file opened the DivX-Player and an error message that it can't open the file. Opened the player first and selected the file from there - movie starts no problems. After reinstalling Divx-Pro that problem was gone. Didn't occur on my english computer.

All in all quite smooth I must say. But I am only working with SP2 for a few hours. Still too early to delete the backup...

Archived