Win XP SP2 available

carlton68

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I already downloaded it. About 275 MBs, and I installed it on 3 computers.

Here's a link.....

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

click on the download for several computers version..... which will link you to:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

SP2 is now available through the (English) Windows update site. Other languages will follow soon.

If you use the update page you won't need to download the whole file, since MS will download only the files needed. I just did it half an hour ago and the download size for my WinXP Prof. was 94 MB.

Anyway the current computer magazines will carry a SP2 CD as well.

I downloaded SP2 using the link provided but something went wrong during the installation. I got a dialog saying that my system was unstable and to uninstall SP2 (which never installed properly). During the uninstall I was warned that most of my programs and hardware devices might not work properly, I continued with the uninstall. Now everything is fucked up. I'm looking at re-installing Windows from an image.

I don't mean to scare anyone off but do take it seriously when you are warned to do a backup of your files and backup your drivers!! Only thing I can figure is that there was a problem with the download. It was supposed to be around 275MB. I started the download and went to bed and ended up with a 265MB file. I'll try to download it again latter on another computer. Curious if anyone else has run into this problem.

Not had a serious problem with either the dl or install from disc. Have done maybe 14 machines in the past week. Only one machine refused to play with it and wuldn't connect to the internet, although the connection was live. Possible a conflict between SP2 and the onboard LAN. Will check it later. Uninstall fixed it.

Remember that the uninstall should be in your programs files and accessed through add/remove programs in control panel. Failing to do it this way will leave registry changes that will seriously screw the OS and require a complete reload of the OS.

On line installs are usually OK, but I prefer to do them from disc so I don't risk a corrupt dl.

I have a feeling it was something at my end that caused the serious problems. I did use the add-remove feature to uninstall it but I think there were already extensive changes made to the registry.

I was able to get to access the system restore feature in safe mode. Everything appears to be back to normal now. It was the longest system restore I've seen the computer do. It must of made a lot of changes restoring the registry.

I downloaded SP2 using the link provided but something went wrong during the installation. I got a dialog saying that my system was unstable and to uninstall SP2 (which never installed properly). During the uninstall I was warned that most of my programs and hardware devices might not work properly, I continued with the uninstall. Now everything is fucked up. I'm looking at re-installing Windows from an image.

For those fearing the same kind of problems, microsoft have released a utility to check your system for incompatibilities with SP2. Might be worth to check it out. It's available here.

I will run it before I download the dutch version of SP2, available from september 6th.

Cheers,

soongmak

Archived