Win XP SP2 available

carlton68

Well I've done 4 upgrades and 2 clean installs with SP2 since it's release and 'sofar' no probs. Amazing.

I have used the 'update' service and also the install from disc. Tomorrow I will slipstream it and see how that holds up.

Only whine so far is that it limits the number of open connections (10) as a security issue. Not good news for us leechy downloaders. I have a tweak to install that puts the number back up to 50 which should be fine. Unfortunately it is not a simple registry change, so I'll play first and report later.

Over all it seems stable, sure nice to go to the update service and see 'No Updates Required" ::

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only whine so far is that it limits the number of open connections (10) as a security issue. Not good news for us leechy downloaders. I have a tweak to install that puts the number back up to 50 which should be fine. Unfortunately it is not a simple registry change, so I'll play first and report later.

LH,

Does using programs that connect to the internet, like mediaplayer, newsreader, browser, messenger, email program cut in to the number of connections as well? That would mean that you're fucked when you're truly multitasking and downloading at the same time! If you got a workaround, please let us know.

Cheers,

soongmak

I believe so, and the limits are part of SP2 install for security to allow less 'holes' (open connections) that sorms such as sasser use. I can't say that I have noticed any change in dl speed with SP2. In fact I got an awesome 140KiB sec last night. But no doubt some programs such as emule will suffer as they try to open multiple connections.

The only real work around I have found so far is here.. http://www.lvllord.de/4226fix/4226fix.htm

Hi guys,

whoever runs WinXP most likely will run XP-antispy as well. They just released version 3.83 and now they have an easy solution to the connection limit presented with SP2.

You will find it at http://www.xp-antispy.org/ . I recommend to download the setup version. If you have XP-antispy already on your system I recommend to uninstall the old version first. I had a small problem wich was solved by uninstall - install of the program.

When you run the prog you will find a tab 'special' and there under 'connection limit' you are able to set the connection limit to either 50, 100, 200, 500 or unlimited. Or reset it to the original 10. WinXP will inform you that an important system file has been changed and askes you to insert your windows CD (including SP2). Click 'cancel' and 'yes'.

Remember, no need to do this unless you notice your download speed drops after installing SP2.

I am not familiar with the technology behind it. As I understand it limit's the number of half-open connections, this is when you try to connect somewhere but still got no reply from the partner. Once you get a reply it's an open connection which is not limited.

If you want to know exactly look it up yourself, I can't tell better.

Carlton,

Can you tell me the name of a computer magazine in Thailand that will have a CD with the SP2 update? I want to install it, but I'm using 56K dial-up and I expect downloading it would take forever. Would any of these magazines be on the newstand now?

jxxxl,

sorry I don't know any thai computer mags. But maybe one of the residents can answer the question? And then you have to get the right language version. I have no clue if the thai mags would put in the english or thai version, or both. Thai is not available yet.

Sorry, I'm not much of help here.

An addition to the question if SP2 checks serials or not:

I just did started a clean install with my slipstreamed WinXP SP2 cd. When asked for the key I entered the unfamous FCKGW... -key that once worked with the original cd. Without SP2 it works, with SP2 it is not a valid key anymore. SP1 did the same so it looks they just took it over into SP2.

Just to show that SP2 DOES check serials. but M$ isn't really serious about it.

>>>Just to show that SP2 DOES check serials. but M$ isn't really serious about it

In an article I read on the subject of SP2 and questionable serial numbers the author made an interesting point that it is not in Microsoft's interest to have a bunch of unpatched machines out there as they pose a potential security threat to other computers on the Internet. Just speculation I believe but it does make some sense.

Archived