OLYMPIC 2004 Athen - The Results

Mentors

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the UK gets a full house today.

Gold in the sailing,Silver in the equestrian and bronze in the swimming(subject to appeals).

2 more medals guaranteed in the sailing,but the colour will be decided on Saturday.

4 rowing teams in Saturdays finals and Radcliffe going for the Marathon on Sunday.

things are looking up at last......

fishy business in the pool.

Persoil wins the Mens race and then is disqualified for an illegal turn and Goddard of the UK gets upgraded to the Bronze.

but then the IOC committee throw out the disqualification for a certain reason.

the Judge who disqualified Persoil wrote the report out in a Language other than English.

this was deemed unacceptable as all communication has to be in English.

so a swimmer can break the rules,but get away with it because a Judge does not write in English..... ::

so the Brits are robbed of a medal because the authorities bow down to the Yankee Dollar.

oh and before i forget,the UK won a Badminton silver in an epic game against the Chinese pair.

sayjann said:

more medals for the Brits today...... :applause:

where are you Switzerland?........ :rolleyes:

still one GOLD and one BRONZE ::

2nd GOLD Medal fro Thailand :D

'Nong' Pawina Thongsuk win the 75kg group weight lifting GOLD Medal. :applause:

Now Thailand has 2 Gold and 2 Bronze Medals :)

Boxing:

- World flyweight champion Somjit Jongjohor wilted under a final round assault from Cuba?s Yuriorkis Gamboa Toledano as he crashed out of the Olympic Games boxing tournament yesterday.

Amateur Boxing Association of Thailand president Taweep Jantararoj was stunned at the loss.

?I couldn?t believe this was happening. Taking a three-point-lead into the final bout should almost assure victory,? Taweep said.

- On Friday night (Saturday morning local time), bantamweight Woraphot Petchkoom from Surat Thani became the second Thai to reach the last eight round.

- On Thursday night, Manas Boonjamnong was the first Thai into the quarter-finals. Two more Thais were to enter the ring late last night.

- August 22 (The Nation) -- Thai boxer, Suriya Prasarthinpimai advanced to round of last 8 boxer in his middleweight (75 kg) match with Jarvid Taghiyer

Hi All,

One of the tenets of team sport is that you never give up on the team, and the team doesnt give up on you. Seems the memo didnt get a to a certain Aussie female rowing team :

Aussie rower packs it in 650M from finish

Someone said her Olympic career is over, but I have to wonder if *anyone* will want to get in a boat with this girl again. If she wasnt feeling up to it, dont they have 'reserves' ??? Amazing what the prospect of wearing a medal will do for one's willingness to get in the boat, I guess.

Aussie women was quoted as saying "This experience will only makes me stronger".

Wow, In the biggest venue on the biggest stage in the world to let your teammates down by quitting and this is going to make her stronger. In some ways I fell sorry for her because when reality set in, her life will never be the same.

Yes I feel sorry for the teammates also, but they will go home knowing they gave it their best and can live with that.

a little similar to Paula Radcliffe.

she had a long track career with little success and then in the last 2-3 Years she hit her Peak.

Gold in the 10,000,winner of World Cross Country and re-writing the record books in 2 Marathons.

she was built up so much by the Media and the British Public began to believe she was superhuman and unbeatable.

after his disappointment in the Olympic Marathon there has been a backlash.

TV,Radio and Newspaper Media have turned on her and called her a failure and a wimp for dropping out.

they should leave the poor Girl alone,she trained hard and made many sacrifices and having a bad race is no disgrace.

i used to run Marathons,not very well and just a plodder.

i know what can go wrong in a race and i feel for her.

she prepared to the best of her ability and sadly it was not good enough.

i remember running in Copenhagen and it was the hottest Weekend in recorded history and i just wilted.

i know what it is like to run in very high temperatures.

but congrats to all the Women who finished the Race in difficult conditions.

a great Womens 800m tonight with Kelly Holmes winning the Gold for the UK.

fantastic to see her finally getting her reward after so my effort over the Years...... :applause::bow:

Archived