OLYMPIC 2004 Athen - The Results

Mentors

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taekwondo exponent Yaowapa Boorapolchai won a fifth medal for Thailand in Athens late last night (Bangkok time), edging out Alicia Mora Romero Gladys of Colombia in the women's under-49kg bronze medal match.

The sooner they add Muay Thai to the Olympic sports list, the better. Imagine the look on the face of the crowd when they realise that these guys dont jump up and down looking for the chance to score a 'point' : they wade in and try to take the other guys head off ......

i remember in Stockholm i stopped off for 20 Minutes and had a cigarette,glass of wine and some pate with a Swedish couple

Jesus, Sayjann - were you ever in the Armed Forces ? Never ceased to amaze me how some young guys would finish a run, coughing and spitting, only to light up a fag as soon as they were able to breath again - undoing all that good work ....

Even prior to the Green Machine, one of my bosses was an ex-Para who would tell me how he and the lads liked nothing better than an early 10 mile run to shake out the cobwebs after a night on the turps - sadly, he seemed to have replaced that remedy with the more common 'stay drunk' approach by the time I met him.

funnily enough yes i was in a way.

but only a Boy at the time,joined the Royal Marines at 16 but had an accident during training and was given a Medical Discharge before i was 17.

not sure if that counts though.

we had compulsory X-Country at school and i used to enjoy that and i started my running at about the same time i started smoking and enjoying the first fumblings of sexual contact.

Another Gold Medal for Kingdom! :)

Manus Boonjumnong won another gold medal for Thailand early this morning after winning his final in the light welterweight division in Athens. :beer:

Meanwhile, Worapoj Petchkoom is set to be the final Thai to vie for a gold medal in this year?s Olympics when he steps onto the canvas to fight defending champion Guillermo Rigondeaux of Cuba in the bantamweight (54kg) division this evening, Bangkok time.

A heavy Medal rain for Thailand in Greece :: :D ::

BANGKOK, August 29 (The Nation) -- Boxer Worapoj Petchkoom won a silver Olympic medal after losing to Cuba's Guillermo Rigondeaux Ortiz in the final gold-medal bout in bantamweight class (54-kg) on a 22-13 points decision.

The 23-years-old Surat Thani native is the second male athlete to win a medal in the Athen Games. His silver medal is last of all medals.

Thailand has won three golds, one silver and four bronzes - the best-ever medal achievement. :: :applause::beer: :beer:

Hi Mentors,

Is there a page somewhere which shows the outcomes based on the amount of money invested per athlete ?

The American people can be justifiably proud of their team's medal haul, but I wonder how it stands up against teams who didn't have the huge financial backing that the US team enjoyed. Even our highly successful Oz team (4th overall) has quite a few athletes who can afford to dedicate themselves solely to training : I'm sure that isnt the case in many of the lower-ranked nations. Full marks to the Thai team.

Archived