OLYMPIC 2004 Athen - The Results

Mentors

Local boxer Woraphoj Petchkoom from Surat Thani won the country?s second medal after a great performance to beat Nestor Bolum of Nigeria 29-14 in the bantamweight (54kg) quarterfinals on Monday night. :)

My country, still only one Gold and one Bronze :onfire: :sleeping:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a lovely moment a couple of Days ago.

watching the Women's Beach Volleyball...... :p and one of the Brazilians kicked the ball off the Court.

straight into the face of a Greek Girl who was helping out on the side of the Court.

the Girl was around 11-12 and while stunned and in pain she refused to cry.

when the Brazilian had realised what she had done,the look of horror on her face was something to behold.

she rushed across and comforted and cuddled the Girl and she looked more distressed than her victim.

but in the end it all ended in smiles and i heard after the Game,the Brazilians presented the Girl with oodles of kit and momentos........:applause:

a little similar to Paula Radcliffe.

I've gotta say that I think its different. Radcliffe should *not* have been attacked for breaking down well into *the* single most painful endurance event at the Olympics - people die in marathons, particularly in the sort of heat which competitors faced on the day. I'm sure rowing is no picnic, but the simple fact is that this girl has done it before (lost the plot at a crucail stage in a race), and it speaks to a lack of mental toughness. If anyone saw the state that Grant Hackett was in after his 1500m title defence, I think you'll know what I mean.

BTW, how many board members have ever run 5km 'against the clock' ? We were required to do it regularly when I was a soldier, and I struggled to get down to 19:30, whilst even the regiment's triathlete had to push himself to get regular sub 17 minute times : Radcliffe can better that pace for *every* 5 km of the 42 km course (her world record is 2:15:25).

Dash out and do a quick 5km, then come back and tell us whether Radcliffe should have been castigated by the media .......

19:30?.......what a wimp..... :cover:

i could do a 5K quicker than that as a plodder and an +40 veteran to boot...... :neener:

and that's the truth.

but seriously,the problem with Radcliffe is that she has had no experience on the type of course the Marathon was run on.

her previous 3 Marathons were on very fast,flat courses and in the relative cool of Springtime.

you cannot prepare for the conditions she and the other Girls faced that Day.

even some of the Africans had serious problems and a couple dropped out and they are more used to the heat.

the event was the same for all of them,but i feel that many of the other Girls were better prepared as they compete on all sorts of courses and race more than once a Year.

but Radcliffe is no in a no-lose situation.

there is much speculation wether she will run in the 10,000m.

her name has been entered for the race,but she can pull out at any time.

if she does not run then it will be a case of'what a shame,shows she must still be suffering'

if she runs and wins she will be a national Heroine.

if she runs and loses she will be considered to be so brave for deciding to run.

i ran over 60 Marathons in the period i was running and i know from experience how the conditions can fuck you up.

the runs i finished in LA,Copenhagen,Stockholm and Marrakech were blistering hot and i certainly suffered.

BTW, how many board members have ever run 5km 'against the clock' ?

----

years ago i remember when i was in LOS in the very low season. I had to

run against the clock followed from a horde of bar girls who want that i fined them

:grinyes::clown:

another Bronce medal in Womens triathlon for my country:

total: 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 3 Bronze ::

19:30?.......what a wimp.....

i could do a 5K quicker than that as a plodder and an +40 veteran to boot...... and that's the truth.

Was that you leading the field in the 5000 metres in Athens ?

:bow: ::

As I said, the 'serious' runners in the regiment did it in considerably less - I was using my own time as a baseline for the effort which goes into a sub-17 minute time, to highlight the phenomenal output achieved by these athletes. It certainly doesnt hurt to weigh less than I did, and be a 'natural' from day one - I commend you on your own efforts, but the marathon just isnt on my list of things to do.

The thing which blew me away about the eventual winner was that she looked like she had just returned from a casual jog in the park - is there a drug that you can take to achieve that ? I know that Japanese have a 'never-say-die' attitude, but she looked a lot more comfortable throughout the race than the remainder of the women. I guess its easy to say that whilst lounging on a sofa with a plate of corn chips balanced on one's considerable midsection ::

"Was that you leading the field in the 5000 metres in Athens ?"

555.......i wish.

given up running now,the ravages of time have caught up with me.

competed in an 80 Miler and it took it out of me mentally and physically and i decided to call it a Day.

5K was just a sprint to me and i could just about get round in a reasonable time,but it was too short for me really.

i liked the 10 Miles and 1/2 Marathon as i could get into a groove and plod along.

the Marathon was just a Day out to me and i never performed well,i just liked to go around and look at the scenary.

i remember in Stockholm i stopped off for 20 Minutes and had a cigarette,glass of wine and some pate with a Swedish couple who were having a picnic while watching the race......that's what i call civilised....... :bow:

when the Olympic Marathon started i said to my work collegues to watch out for the Japanese as they are a good Marathon nation.

they have a consistent record in races and unlike Radcliffe race everywhere and anywhere.

i did however think one of the other Japanese would win it,not the eventual winner Noguchi.

Archived