Lost Passport & Overstay!!!

Yes I have lost my passport and I am overstay. What are they going to do? I have the cash now to get outta here for a visa run. How does the whole visa thing work with a lost passport?

Where are U from??

If U are from a country like france than except if U are registered at the embassy as a thailand resident the only thing U'll get from the embassy is an authorisation to go back to Ur own country.Go with this paper,Ur home ticket for the next day and money for overstay to the immigration office and I guess U should be OK.

If U can get a new passport I'm not sure they will accept in Suan Phluu if U tell them U're going for a visa run and show up without flight ticket.They've been known to be obtuse on some situations(but very easy going against backshish in others)

Good luck

"What are they going to do?":

if you are lucky they will just let you leave. Very good chance they will put you in jail. You have a serious problem that should not be taken lightly.

"How does the visa run work without a passport":

It doesn't work at all. You need to worry about getting out of country without going to jail. I would not bring up a visa run at this point.

I suggest you discuss with your embassy.

American Embassy will normally issue new passport, but your case is slightly different, though I am sure they have had people in similar situation.

[ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: THAIHOME ]

Let me clarify some facts and questions:

1. I am an American Citizen

2. My most important questions is what is the entire process start to finish?

3. I know I need to go and report my passport lost at the Tourist police. Do they check the status of my Visa?

4. I know I need to go to the American Embassy and get a new passport. Do they check my visa status or is that simply a thia immigration issue?

5. After i get my new passport I have heard that I need to Thai Immigration to get a visa I am sure that they look up my old visa so what should I do?

So agian what is the process I dont want to screw up at some point and be thrown in jail or something. Obviously.. haha.

Thanks in advance!

Just go to the embassy. They know what to do for sure.

3 years ago my collegua (dutch) lost her passport after overstaying 6 months. It actually went missing when she bribed someone to 'fix' her overstay)

She went to the embassy to get a 'temporary' travel document, went to buy a ticket and then to suanplu. Had to pay B20.000 (the maximum) and leave the country within 24 hours. She did. No futher problemsafterwards with coming back into the country with her new passport. (They would not know the number anyway, only the name)

Let me clarify some facts and questions:

1. I am an American Citizen

2. My most important questions is what is the entire process start to finish?

3. I know I need to go and report my passport lost at the Tourist police. Do they check the status of my Visa?

4. I know I need to go to the American Embassy and get a new passport. Do they check my visa status or is that simply a thia immigration issue?

5. After i get my new passport I have heard that I need to Thai Immigration to get a visa I am sure that they look up my old visa so what should I do?

So agian what is the process I dont want to screw up at some point and be thrown in jail or something. Obviously.. haha.

Thanks in advance!

Probably no problems with the Police and the Embassy.

Big Problem with the immigration!!

My advice: Take a lawyer who has some good connections.

I am an expat and in my opinion one of the best is H. Toosi. Ask for Khun Anongnart.

Tel. 02-643-8867.

Hope for you everything will work out.

Didier

Many years ago I had my passport stolen when I was on a visa run though my visa had one day left. I first had to report the missing passport to Thai tourist police who simply gave me a document to take to my embassy (they need this document) to get a new passport. The police and embassy process took over a week and no one had asked my visa status, though I knew it had now expired. When I got a new passport I had to go to Thai immigration who looked for the copy of my entry card are were able to copy the same visa stamp into my new passport. They also pointed out the visa expiration and let me pay for the extension stamp, which still didn’t cover the days I stayed. Then on exiting the country I paid the daily overstay rate. In your case it depends on how long you’ve overstayed. Mine was just four or five days. If we’re talking weeks or months I’d get legal advise.

Cheers

Isn't it odd: everybody here looses his passport after he/she overstayed. Do you really believe the Thai officals aren't so clever to figure this manouvre?

However, to my knowledege nobody goes to jail just because of overstaying and CERTAINLY not because he/she lost the passport (their must be other serious offences be involved). I figured that the Thais are much cleverer on this issue then many western governments: they prefer to let you pay for every day you overstay then to finance you an accomodation in jail.

Cheers

quote:

Originally posted by BKKFREAK:

However, to my knowledege nobody goes to jail just because of overstaying and CERTAINLY not because he/she lost the passport (their must be other serious offences be involved). I figured that the Thais are much cleverer on this issue then many western governments: they prefer to let you pay for every day you overstay then to finance you an accomodation in jail.

Well that is only true if U have the money to pay Ur overstay and Ur ticket back home.Things get much worse if U don't have Ur passport and if U get caught on the street.I know many disturbing stories.

Bangkok Phil on his site writes that a few years back he was controlled in his Soi Sri Bumpen studio with one or a couple of days overstay.Though he had a flight ticket to Singapore he's been jailed a few days.This case is definetely extreme but it's not advised to end up in Thailand without money and overstay.Though as far as BKK goes it's the time U can bet several people gonna show up and offer U the worst scams around

I'm not near to understand how so many westerners stay in BKK in such a precarious situation.Let it go...

Archived