cops refusing money !

Bembaman

Had this GF who was driving in BKK without license, seemed to get away with 100 bath at every check. 100 bath seem be the norm with some getting away with 50.

I received almost 25K bth traffic fine in a month in France :cussing:

I agree about being cool, calm and casual. Whenever I am stopped on my bike I slowly take my helmet off, dismount, light a cigarette and by this time the cop has indicated for me to get back on my bike. I reckon they just want the quick payoff and no hassle!

Only once have I paid over 100 baht and that was for going through a redlight on Narathiwat Road. (I was following a highsided van that turned left, only when it disappeared did I notice that the overhead lights were on red. By this time I was in the middle of the junction so it was shit or bust! I accelerated and went straight on. Two motorsii cops flagged me down 100 metres down the road. I negotiated down to a 100 baht then he discovered my road tax had expired, laughed and then asked for another 100 baht!

Another time I was stopped on Surawongsee while I was taking my GF back to her work in Pat Pong. she had no helmet and the cop took refused any payment and took my UK licence. After my GF had clocked on, I went to the police station, paid about 100 baht, got my licence back then took her back to work again.

Question:

I have been stopped twice this week while returning from Pat Pong. It was on Narathiwat Road, about opposite Makro.

First occassion I was in the left lane and approached the road-block, signalling to get into the outer lane and slowly road up to the road-block. One cop shouted "Falang, Falang, Falang" but fortunately the other cop just waved me on. The same happened last night about the same time 01:30, and I was waved on again.

Can anyone tell me the reason for the road-block?

Archived