cops refusing money !

Bembaman

In the last 3 months I have been pulled over for 2 minor traffic offences; 1 I plead guilty to but the other I didn't do!

Anyway, on both occasions I tried to pay the cop but on both occasions they politely refused and told me to go to the station and pay, giving me the paperwork.

Anyone else experienced this? Most people with cars I told about this couldn't believe it and had never been refused when offering a 'tip' for the cop.

2 different police areas by the way, Lumpini and Klongtan.

Straycat said:

yes, it has happened many times to me. some precincts are "cleaner" than others....klong tan is one of them.

I got stopped near Khlong Tan. No money, just a warning (as I was only 7km over the limit) and the commander of the patrol summoned all his troups to listen to his English.

On my way back, 4 hours later, got pulled off again by the same crew. The chief policeman recognized me and waved to continue my journey.

Two days later, nearby but obviously different patrol and different precinct, a 2K baht (20km over the limit) speeding fine went down to 200B as we did not have more cash on us.

I think Lumphini actually goes in the "clean" department too (or rather they make so much money on other things they don't need street bribes). I've been there several times to pay traffic fines.

The real crooks are at the Rama IV Station, just a stone throw or two from Lumphini station....they set up harassment stations along Rama IV and Rama III daily :onfire:

Stickman said:

2,000 baht fine for 20 km/h over the limit? You sure about that? I was stopped andoing 130 km/h in a 90 km/h zone and the cop said the fine would be 800 baht, but he provided a very generous discount to me. Nice guy.

Stick

No, he asked for more. Am I sure, I am not. Could be 1200B but over 1K definitelly.

For some reason I think he wanted 2K.

The Rama IV mafia cops nailed me for riding my motorcycle in the 2nd lane from the leftside, saying I must keep the moto in the far left lane where buses, taxis, trucks frequently stop or park, and where cars trying to merge onto the main road pull out hoping to bluff their way into traffic.

The only option he gave me to paying him the 500 baht fine directly was that he keep my drivers license, and several days later go to the Police Station and pay the 500 baht, whereupon I would theoritically get my license back.

To avoid the risk of losing my license and hassle of going to the station, I gave him the 500 baht, which he slipped under his notebook while looking around. He refused to give me a copy of the citation he was writing.

I wasn't sure how to suggest a lower amount without running the risk of being slapped with a bribery charge.

Any suggestions for an inexperienced motorist?

Well, 500 is WAY too much...

I suggest lose up a bit on the farang style....take on a "mai pben rai" attitude, smile & joke around a bit -- and most importantly -- look like you have all day to spend with your new buddy Somchai the Traffic Cop....Shake your head in disbelief for the first offer, then counter with a quick 100 or 200.

I know it's not always possible to adher to this. I've felt like nuking these guys more than a few times... Remember though, the Rama IV cops are experienced. It's not like they're offered a bribe for the very first time in their police career.... ::

Some cops wont budge from their initial demand, but most will as they know it's outrageous to pay more than the actual fine as tea money..

agree on your approach, Straycat; all is negotiable and sometimes they let you away without paying anything.

500 or even 1000 they can only get from Farang newbie! they would better go to the station as the official fine will be much less than what the cops ask to get through the window...

Archived