The most significant music video

check_bin_krap

The most significant music video ever, for me its David Bowie's "China girl". A wonderful song, lyrics is great...

Its far from the best Bowie songs when it comes to the music. I feel that the theme, and the mood makes me feel I really get it.

Bowie went the opposite way from me, he ended up with a girl from Africa. At times, I might have done that also.

Cheers!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, no probs!

To return to the topic. Most significant music video....I dunno, I guess Peter Gabriels 'Sledge Hammer' impressed me when it came -- but I can't say his music or that this particular video had any significance in my life.

A video I quite liked though was that Madonna song that weren't allowed to show day time on MTV. I think it was called 'Justify My Love'. That song probably is/were in tune with my darker side, as I later on in my life went on a year long tour filled with 'fear & loathering' in SE Asia... ;)

Mentors said:

ouhh yes Bowies China Girl Video is amazing.

...hmh...maybe this is one of my founds then, when i started to think about holidays in Asia :: :o

I have this clip somewhere on one of my old videotapes who are full with music clips from the 80s :)

My teacher on sport results reporting, I thought you were into more heavy stuff?

Cheers!

Most significant music video?

Well, for me, it was in 1981. Brixton was up in flames; as was Toxteth in Liverpool; St Paul's in Bristol; Moss Side in Manchester, as well as dozens of smaller riots in provincial towns across England. Fuck, it was mental. Millions unemployed with millions more to follow. The Falklands War was yet to happen as was the Miner's Strike, Wapping...

Throughout that long hot summer: 'Ghost Town' by The Specials AKA . The video for that: they are driving through an inner city at night, mournful trombone, Neville's 'Why must the yout' fight against themselves. government leaving the yout' on the shelf'.

That was significant.

Prescient too if you think about it. The song must have been written (Jerry Dammers) and recorded months and months before, let alone producing the video. It must have been so obvious that something had to giver sooner or later.

Nowadays, whenever they do one of those 'I Love the 80's' shows (I didn't love the 80's btw, they sucked the fucking root) that video and song has become a rather lazy cliche, probably plucked from the library by some snot-nose 'okay-yah' researcher who doesn't remember, wasn't even born, never fucking lived...

check_bin_krap said:The most significant music video ever, for me its David Bowie's "China girl". A wonderful song, lyrics is great... Its far from the best Bowie songs when it comes to the music...

"China Girl" was co-written by Bowie and one Mr Iggy Pop. Iggy wrote the lyrics. Bowie probably did all the music on Iggy's original version (on his LP "The Idiot" :bow:): it was during Bowie's 1970s "let's salvage the otherwise oblivion-bound career of a drug-addled mate" crusade (see under Lou Reed's "Transformer" album :up:).

check_bin_krap said:Bowie went the opposite way from me, he ended up with a girl from Africa.

Yeah, but not before he'd taken time to shag the "China Girl" video bird and go out with her for a few months. :hubba: She went into rehab after that. :drunk: Her handle, trivia fans, is Geeling Ng, an actress/model born in New Zealand. She had parts in various daytime tv shows in the late 80's/early 90's, and now features :doah: on the cooking segment of the "Asia Down Under" show on New Zealand's TV ONE (Sundays at 8.30am, if you're desperate, thrillseekers). :clown:

I don't remember the video being much cop, though. :rolleyes: Wasn't it just him and her frolicking about on the beach in Australia, with Bowie baring his arse at one point (which got the video temporarily banned from MTV, as I recall, until his offending butt was edited out)? ::

I thought "Ashes to Ashes" was a better Bowie video. :)

jack :help:

I thought "Ashes to Ashes" was a better Bowie video.

-----------------------

great music too, my favorite Bowie song! Personally, i dig best the goofy videos that don't take themselves too seriously, like B52's, Wall of Voodo's "mexican radio" video (one of the first), etc....

Talking of Bowie, on his great "Station to Station" album, "word on a wing" title, I thought these lyrics (slightly adjusted by my imagination) fitted the effect on one's life of yet another trip to thailand:

.....In this age of grand illusion

you walked into my life

out of my dreams

Sweet LOS, be born once again for me.....

Archived