The most significant music video

check_bin_krap

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm never sure whether this one counts as 'video'. I suppose it does but when it came out I don't think the man in the street used the word.

'Bohemian Rhapsody' by Queen (Durr) . I remember at the time we heard that song and saw that video, me and my mates just went, "Fucking 'ell. That's clever". Then we fucked off and invented punk - but that's another story.

(Bohemian Rhapsody ain't a favourite of mine btw. It was just a seminal moment I reckon).

tbh - video doesn't really do it for me. It's the song. It always will be the song. The song represents my memories; my images; my interpretation. I rather resent Tarquin - fresh from film school - trying to spell it all out for me.

Bowie's "Lets Dance" vid shot in Oz is much better imho with him backed up against the wall snarling "...visions of swastikas in my head".

Prefer his "Low" album for music, but individually his "Man who sold the world" is grooviest.

Most significant vid, not for any other reason than the bird's lovely, is Chris Isaak's "Blue Hotel" with Helena Christensen. Rolling around on the beach in b&w. Fnarr.

Bowie has always been my favourite artist and many of his videos were innovative.

i always liked the video to Jean Genie with it lurid colour.

Diamond Dogs is my favourite Album.

but the video which caught my eye was 'The River' by Springsteen.

he stood on stage bathed in a Blue spotlight and told a poignant tale.

he was overcome as he told the true story of his Sister.

first time i really noticed him despite seeing the epic 'Rosalita' on the OGWT a few Years earlier.

carew66 said:

Most significant music video?

Well, for me, it was in 1981. Brixton was up in flames; as was Toxteth in Liverpool; St Paul's in Bristol; Moss Side in Manchester, as well as dozens of smaller riots in provincial towns across England. Fuck, it was mental. Millions unemployed with millions more to follow. The Falklands War was yet to happen as was the Miner's Strike, Wapping...

Throughout that long hot summer: 'Ghost Town' by The Specials AKA . The video for that: they are driving through an inner city at night, mournful trombone, Neville's 'Why must the yout' fight against themselves. government leaving the yout' on the shelf'.

That was significant.

Prescient too if you think about it. The song must have been written (Jerry Dammers) and recorded months and months before, let alone producing the video. It must have been so obvious that something had to giver sooner or later.

Nowadays, whenever they do one of those 'I Love the 80's' shows (I didn't love the 80's btw, they sucked the fucking root) that video and song has become a rather lazy cliche, probably plucked from the library by some snot-nose 'okay-yah' researcher who doesn't remember, wasn't even born, never fucking lived...

Carew, I love The Specials, Selector, Bad Manners and The Beat.. I think the first album by the Specials was the best though. It was quite weird that a segment of the ones who followed that music were racist. They never got it, and what it stood for. The two Tones label said it clearly.

Cheers!

I don't remember the video being much cop, though. :rolleyes: Wasn't it just him and her frolicking about on the beach in Australia, with Bowie baring his arse at one point (which got the video temporarily banned from MTV, as I recall, until his offending butt was edited out)? ::

I thought "Ashes to Ashes" was a better Bowie video. :)

jack :help:

Nah, it was not only shagging. That was last clip. The ones before were more significant, and especially the barbed wire. Bowie like an imperialist also, doesn't that fit us today when we go raveging across Asia? ::

Ashes to ashes is surely a better made video, but I don't feel it has anything to do with me. I never went into that world. I can relate to every word in "China girl".

Cheers!

Archived