Help phoning America...

Mr Pickles

Occassionally I need to call America to sort out a credit card or banking issue and was wondering what's the cheapest way to call someone in America. One of the numbers I need to call is a "toll free" international number and the other one is an 800 number. I don't think the US 800 numbers work from here but I may be wrong. When I was staying in a hotel earlier this year in BKK they only charged me the standard local call charge when I dialed the international toll free number but now that I'm living in an apartment that option is not available. Please let me know some of your thoughts. I do have a home phone here in the apartment but have only used it for the internet. I have a cell phone (1 2 call) but have never called internationally and am not sure I'm set up to do that. Thanks

New Petchburi Pete said:

O.H. recommends "skype."

I don't have a broadband connection in Bangkok, hope to have one soon, but I haven't had very good luck with skype. When I can hear the party it is crystal clear, better than regular phone, but then fades in and out. I found it impossible to have a conversation. Yahoo Messenger voice has lousy soundd quality, but it is easier to have a conversation.

Just to add, I haven't used it, but have heard good things about dialpad, pc to phone, rates start at 1.7 cents/minute for a Thailand-US call.

Skype has a similar service, pc to phone, called SkypeOut, that seems reasonable, but also haven't used it and not talked to anyone who has.

Archived