BIOS fucked up

BelgianBoy

Guys,

Call me lazy, but I had to re-install everything 2 months ago, and since then when starting up the power, laptop lets me choose between F2 and F12 to enter setup.....

I run XPpro, anyone knows where what and certainly how to change the setup in BIOS so that it starts up automatically fron harddrive and Windooz ?

TIA as usual :D

BB

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BB,

Your problem is not quite clear to me. Do you mean that windows doesn't start up automatically? And if not, what options are open?

I can enter setup as well during startup (I guess using F12), but if I don't windows will simply start up. So what's your problem again?

Cheers,

soongmak

BB:

It would be helpful to know exactly what you were running ??

There are different Motherboards and Bios settings but , in genereal

when the machine is first sstarted, hit the del key repeatedly until the bios screeen comes up.

Go to advanced settings.

there is a setting of 1st,2nd,3rd...etc boot options

1 is usually set to floppy or cd

2nd is set to disk 0 ...... that is where windows is.

if they are not set like this change them and exit WITH saving. Confirm to save and reboot the machine.

if this fails to solve your problem then it is most likely an error in your boot initiation sequence in windows itself and not in the bios. This can occur if you have installed more than one copy of an operating system.

detailed help is available.

BB, there can be several things the POST test reacts upon. It should give you a clear message. Does it? If your problem is that its set to boot from another device, entering the BIOS and changing the boot order would certainly fix it.

Whats the PC? Is it a Toshiba? They have a seperate program to change BIOS settings.. You don't get into it as easily as with other brands. I love their laptops, but they do make support a pain in the ass.

Let us know what kind of shit you have man :: And I will do the best to help here.

Cheers!

LHL,

Thanks for the post, here is what I have and what I did :

I run a Toshiba Satelitte laptop with XPpro, BIOS is PhoenixBios.

Hitting DEL does not work, turning laptop on I get the Toshiba logo and two options F2 to enter setup and F12 to boot device....

In BIOS I have main / avanced / security / others / Boot / exit.

Only in Boot I could change anything, however re-starting the LT, I get the same shite all over.

However, hitting F12 when starting up, I get into Boot, I choose the Hard disc, but then I get "SMART FAILURE on hard disc 0", which I delete with F1 to start my OD up...... and from there on,. all is ok.

I do NOT have more than 1 OS anyway, but this shit happened since I re-installed my C-drive from Norton Ghost.....

What now ?

TIA !

BB

Archived