BIOS fucked up

BelgianBoy

Yep! I guessed you have a Toshiba..

POST is health check during boot. Like when a hooker looks at your dick and decides if she wants or not..

Toshibas have 2 options, both accessible after you come onto Windows. One is DOS prompt and Tsetup (I think).

The other one is in Control Panel.. Look for Toshiba setup icon or somewhat there.

Can't find this stuff? Go to Toshibas WEB site...

Cheers!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CBK,

Well this Toshiba bitch is definitely starting to annoy me, I think I'll pay her off :(

Anyway, getting into BIOS is not the problem, problem seems it does not change anything, I still get a smart failure :(

And I am a compu ignoramus maximus :doah: so when you tell me about DOS and testup, I dont know where to start looking.....

Been on Tashiba's website, but non the wiser......

But I can still post, Dog would say he can still lick his balls :p

BB

Smart failure indicates disk problems. Run a disk check on C partition. Can do it from admin tools, computer manager and Disk manager. It will run next time at startup.

But, more likely its a HW problem. Can disable smart drive monitoring also in setup. Be careful, do backup what you have! That message can mean that your harddrive is as stable as FJ on a bender in Suk.

BB,

as said before smart failure indicates disk problems, severe disk problems. Go check your harddisk. Very good tools available, I like IBMs Drive Fitness Test which can be run from a floppy, or for a set of tools I like Ultimate Boot CD which includes Drive Fitness Test.

Do the advanced test, it will run for hours though but then you know if your disk is ok or not.

CBK & Carlton,

Smart failure indicates disk problems. Run a disk check on C partition. Can do it from admin tools, computer manager and Disk manager. It will run next time at startup.

> I did, re-started, LT did the check, took 2-3 minutes, no more, all was ok.....

But, more likely its a HW problem. Can disable smart drive monitoring also in setup.

> how ?

DOS is command shell. In XP, you will find it under accessories I think. Or choose "run" and type command.com.

> lost me again :p

about downloads, not the .COM one

> what do I need downloading anyway ???

as said before smart failure indicates disk problems, severe disk problems. Go check your harddisk

> doing so now !

BB

carlton68 said:

BB,

as said before smart failure indicates disk problems, severe disk problems. Go check your harddisk. Very good tools available, I like IBMs Drive Fitness Test which can be run from a floppy, or for a set of tools I like Ultimate Boot CD which includes Drive Fitness Test.

Do the advanced test, it will run for hours though but then you know if your disk is ok or not.

Khun C,

The ultimate booth thingie blocks here, cos part is unknown program.... and the Hitachi thingie works ok, but does detect disk problems, then blocks as well.......

Will wait 2 months till GF is here with her, which I can use while I bring mine back to the shop for a week......

I have an external HD with full copy of my C and D, so no panick (yet) :)

Any other suggestions out there ?

BB

BB,

as your disk check from windows finished after 2 or 3 minutes than it only did a superficial test. When you schedule the disk check you can choose two more options so it will do a thorough check similat to DFT.

So when DFT detects problems then you have problems. Disabling smart functionality will only result in worse condition over the time. Sooner or later the disk will be so bad that the system won't start anymore.

If your GF is capable of it (reading your posts I think she is) then you already can buy a new disk in advance and she will be done within a few hours (that is after the welcome of course). :o

BelgianBoy said:

CBK & Carlton,

> I did, re-started, LT did the check, took 2-3 minutes, no more, all was ok.....

But, more likely its a HW problem. Can disable smart drive monitoring also in setup.

> how ?

DOS is command shell. In XP, you will find it under accessories I think. Or choose "run" and type command.com.

> lost me again :p

about downloads, not the .COM one

> what do I need downloading anyway ???

as said before smart failure indicates disk problems, severe disk problems. Go check your harddisk

> doing so now !

BB

IN downloads, look for setup prog, diag or such. Toshiba setup..

To get into command prompt, try Start > Run > cmd. Command.com was older version I think.

Then type Tsetup. What to change there? Check that the disk is registered o.k. Just go through all screens and use common sense. If there is any smart drive monitoring mentioned, can turn it off if the start up message annoys you. But again, this is warning which should not be ignored.

Or wait for your girl to help you :neener:

Archived