Critics Slam Sign Warning Girls Against Sex on Bus

CRITICS SLAM : sign warning girls against sex on buses

Published on Sep 2, 2004

Chatrarat Kaewmorakot

The Nation

Human-rights defenders yesterday condemned the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) for posting a notice admonishing female riders to ?reserve themselves? following complaints about teenage sex on public buses.

Wilasinee Phiphitkul of Chulalongkorn University and president of the Friends of Women Foundation said the message was offensive and humiliating to women.

?This warning is not going to solve anything,? Wilasinee said.

?Not only is it ineffective, the approach could make some teenagers want to challenge the directive by doing what the sign cautions against,? she said.

Children?s-rights activist Monthree Sinthawichai said youths are often singled out in such cases but when adults commit such acts, they go unnoticed.

The BMTA came under fire from commuters at a Culture Ministry seminar this week about the sexual misconduct of teenagers, whom some participants said were indulging in intercourse at the back of buses.

Many said the activity was particularly common on route number 12, which passes places where adolescents like to make out, as well as a number of love motels.

The stickers were produced only a day after the seminar and pasted in the No 12 buses and will be added on other routes if necessary, BMTA director Poksak Sethabutr said.

Wilasinee said the revelations about teen sexual behaviour were shocking but the truth might not be as bad as the hype surrounding the issue suggested.

?Many seminars nowadays often exaggerate issues about sex just to stimulate public interest, and provide no useful solution to the subject matter,? she said.

?Then the media turn up and splash news of these overblown issues the next day,? she said.

Usa Lerdsrisuntad from the Foundation for Women said she was disturbed by the notice, claiming it reflects conservative values aimed solely at women while men are still permitted to behave irresponsibly.

?The problem doesn?t come from women not preserving their purity,? said Usa.

She suggested that the BMTA find another wording for the message that could communicate the problem to both sexes.

Weerasak Kowsurat, vice minister for culture, defended the BMTA?s move, saying it should be praised for making such an effort to counter unacceptable conduct.

The Culture Ministry will soon help train BMTA staff about the proper ways to deal with young passengers? behaviour, he said.

The BMTA?s Poksak said he had already ordered the wording on the stickers changed following suggestions that it was unfair to pick on girls.

?We are making new announcements that warn both boys and girls,? he said.

++++++++++

Those chasing "GTGs" take note! Any comment would be superfluous, as Bernie would say!

And folks without kids ask me why I send my daughters to boarding school :dunno:...

Cheers,

SD

Mine will do that no problem, but then again she is a city gal who has spent a lot of time living overseas.

But I must say the the mores of Thai youth have changed significantly in the past 5 or so years. Or is it that I just pay attention to teenage issues now? Naw, I do not think that has anything to do with it...

Cheers,

SD

Guest lazyphil

<<Mine will do that no problem, but then again she is a city gal who has spent a lot of time living overseas>>

My mrs was born and bred in bkk and lived in the uk for 3+years and well travelled (with me not bf's!!), its down to the individual not where one is from??...or is it?...new thread!....holding hands in falangland is not a problem.

I think we've done that to death in the past (can search on it), which is where I got that -- it seems that country gals are more concerned with that (i.e., more conservative) than city gals, which is generally the case anywhere in the world.

Cheers,

SD

Ok Ok Ok already.

Where can I get this No. 12 bus?

How long is the trip end to end so to speak?

Do I have to pay the Driver a Bus Fine?

Will I need to bring my own condoms or are they supplied too?

Can you get a short time i.e. you only have sex in one direction or

long time which is have having sex when you are both coming (pun intended) and going ?

Will 'she' do an extra trip ?

Has the no. 12 bus got a toilet and maybe a shower unit too?

Do all the seats face forward?

Must be interesting trying to collect the fares.

Does this poster/sticker imply that for adults, such behaviour is considered OK?

Or does it suggest gay teenage boys can do it, but as soon as a girl gets involved it offends the management.

Yes, please post a route for Bus 12, I look forward to taking it. Maybe though, it was just a plot by the Transport company to increase its number of customers on this line.

Archived