When will BKK be the target ?

Terrorists need a safe house. BKK is such an ethnic melting pot that it's probably a fair assumption to guess that there will be terrorist cells in the city. Whether they would want to actively strike on their own turf is another matter. It's the same reason why lots of Arab militants choose to reside in London. Large population. Ethnic melting pot. Fairly safe for them. BKK is similar in some ways.

The best thing the security services can do is to keep things low profile so that they can actively monitor the architects of terror rather than drive them underground. Sending in the troops and bombing the crap out of places only serves to garner support to the terrorist corner as they then have all the examples they need to show how oppressed they and their people are. It's something that the Chechens have been exploiting to their favour for several years until this most recent disgusting act.

:(

Very sad, but certainly nobody should be surprised by this attack. I have had a couple of meetings in that embassy 2 years ago just after the bali incident and it was already one of the most secure embassies I have ever been in (and I have been in quite a few, as part of my old job). I am not surprised that there were hardly any casulties within the embassy itself. Same could not be said of the British embassy in Jakarta - way easier to penetrate if somebody is so inclined.

As for Thailand - I really do expect something to happen, however I do not belive it will be an embassy - more likely a far softer target where they can easily get to foreigners and I do not expect nana or Soi Cowboy to be at the top of the list - many far easier targets to go for and still achieve many foreigner fatalities.

Interesting point about London from Sukhumvit - I am really surprised that nothing has happended there. However of course since the IRA started bombing London, camera's now cover ever inch of the city - many professionals have remarked that the security services in London can follow a person anywhere in the city just by using camera's !!!!

Hopefully it will not happen in Thailand but I believe it will.

Cheers

New Petchburi Pete said:

Perhap's Thaksin's was the first of such aquisitions ... remember, he obtained his PhD at the University of Texas ... a friend of G.W.

Minor Point here: TS obtained his PHD from Sam Houston State U at Huntsville TX, not U of Texas. A lot of Longhorn graduates would be upset hear Dr S. speaking his version of English if it were a U of T degree. :( His family is a friend of GWB (and GHWB's) though.

SoiSlut said:

I respectfully regret that I will whole heartedly disagree with Mr. NPP <snipped>

Slutty...you've got to cut Pete some slack here. Remember he recently sustained major head trauma and where did he get his treatment? Boston, was it? I suggest that, if he wasn't brain-washed, a chip was implanted or he's still under the delusional effects of some kind of medication. In any event, let's pray for his complete recovery. :grinyes:

Hugh (mak)

Archived