When will BKK be the target ?

JAKARTA: -- A powerful car bomb has hit Jakarta's central business district near the Australian Embassy, killing at least six people and wounding nearly 100.

"Several bodies" were seen just outside the Australian Embassy's 6- meter (20-foot) high steel gate which was mangled in Thursday morning's blast, CNN's Maria Ressa reported.

The blast -- which Ressa said was "far larger" than a blast which killed 12 in the JW Marriot Hotel in the same district last year -- shattered nearly all the windows in seven surrounding buildings, including several high-rises.

Witnesses reported hearing the blast as far as 30 kilometers (18 miles) away.

The fortress-like Australian Embassy building is on Rasuna Said Road, one of central Jakarta's busiest roads, which is lined with office towers, embassies and hotels.

One witness told CNN they believed a car bomb set off the blast. Body parts were strewn around the streets and one body was thrown towards the center of a four-lane highway near the blast site.

Hundreds of police are trying to manage a chaotic scene as ambulances, fire trucks, wounded people and bystanders crowd amid the debris of burnt out cars and shattered windows near the gates of the embassy.

Video of the blast site showed rescue workers carrying out the injured on stretchers to a nearby hospital as helicopters circled ahead.

Police have sent in a bomb squad to search for more explosive devices.

A series of smaller blasts followed the major explosion and police have set up checkpoints to keep people away from the area in case of further explosions.

Warnings issued

The Australian embassy has been evacuated, with a spokeswoman for the Australian government in Canberra telling CNN that no Australian-based staff at the embassy had been hurt. However, some local staff were still being accounted for.

Several countries including the United States and Australia had warned their citizens about possible attacks by militants in recent weeks.

Last Friday, Australia warned that "particular caution should be exercised in Jakarta, including the central business and embassy districts," and said that security at its embassy in the capital remained at a high level.

Indonesia, the world's fourth most populous nation, has been hit by a series of bomb attacks in recent years.

In October 2002, 202 people were killed in the resort island of Bali, many of them Australians.

Jemaah Islamiyah (JI), a militant group with ties to Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network that is trying to set up a pan-Islamic state in Southeast Asia, has been linked both those blasts.

--CNN 2004-09-09

I was deeply saddened by this news of the cowardly, senseless bombing in Jakarta. Unfotunately, what

G.W. Bush describes as the 'global war on terror,' mistakingly doesn't involve adequate intelligence with respect to militant, Muslim States, such as Indonesia, Nigeria, etc. Failure of the intelligence community was obvious to those who followed the

campaign in Iraq and Afghanistan. Hopefully, this will improve once John F. Kerry is elected as the next President of the United States of America. I find it ironic that Kerry's opponents openly criticize his theme at the Democratic National Convention ... "I am John Kerry;and, I am reporting for duty." At least Kerry did report (and serve) his country in Vietnam. G.W. Bush didn't have the balls to report for duty. Perhaps his showing up drunk time after time for flight duty with the Texas Air National Guard was his way out. I find it quite disturbing that, while Kerry's oponents demand the release of his war records, G.W.'s records somehow ("Thank you Daddy") disappeared.

My deepest, sincere condolances go out to those who were killed or wounded by cowards under the guise of theology. Also, I extend my burdened, heart-felt sympathy to the great nation of Australia. Perhaps, they should consider distancing themselves from Bushy's so-called 'coalition,' at least until G.W.'s sorry ass can be booted from office.

The world's opinion of America has suffered under the Bush administration, or more appropriately stated, the lack of it. This negative trend will take time to reverse. The first step in the right direction is to elect John F. Kerry.

Will Bangkok be the next target? It's anybody's guess. I just hope such an atrocious act of cowardice, such as that which just happened in Jakarta, never happens again, anywhere, especially in such a peaceful nation such as the great Kingdom of Thailand. Remember "Thailand" means "Free Land." Anyone who doesn't subscribe to freedom, should not be allowed to reside in, or travel to Thailand, period.

Let's pray for World Peace. Insanity must not be allowed to prevail.

Moderator(s) ... why don't you show some 'brass,' by not yanking this thread! :nono:

I respectfully regret that I will whole heartedly disagree with Mr. NPP. Dude, if we don't take the fight to them they will take the fight to us. This is not about Dem's v Repubs as Free Willie Clinton saw trouble in his time!

I'm a Vietnam Vet and was acitve in Viet Nam Vets Against the War but this is NOT about Viet Nam its about attacks on America. Keeeeeery told the truth about the uglyness of war. About the VC making women bath naked in the river (same like thai, never happen for real) to draw in our troups and then using them for human shields, etc. I even avoid looking over thje outdoor lanai on the Marriott Exec Lounge because the VC flag flies in my view. Those people killed a kid for having a candy wrapper in his pocket. (I gave the kid the candy bar, his murdering thug killer died of loss of blood) This thing is a different one, they attacked us! Now I expect you'll have no probs with the Moddies but they'll spank old Slut for this post!

Also, as to all of our military actions. Thailand is a virtual fortress defended by Americans! Look how big the JUSMAG

(Joint United States Military Advisory Group) is up on Wirless.

How that Airbus 319 for K Thaksin.....I would like to see the inside. Possibly a little soapy room! Shite, If I had that baby I could stock it up with Darlings from Morning/Night and we could just do mile high club and never have to see Passport Control, doesn;t get any better than that!

Did anybody here stay at the Marriott when they had the big security. Guys will Full Automatics on the street, bomb dogs in the drive up, metal detectors and baggage screen devices. Shite they had gurads at all the doors, even the on by the cigar shoppe where oyu can discretly enter with a Tata loooking unit heading for the elevators. I didn't like it one bit. They even put people on the side away from Nana when possible. As to that plan I got news for them a good car bomb would totally trash the exex lounge.

I hope that all the U.S. help will prevent problems as the did at both political conventions and the Olympics. As we look within hours of 9/11 I hope things will remain peaceful!

I hate to inform you; but, 'they' have already taken the fight to us! ... why do we allow them to beat us to the punch?

Your opinions & free speech are most welcome ... all input appreciated ... Free Speech man!!! :up: ... it effects change; an, cahnge is exactly what we need, regardless of who is President. Hope that, not too political & thanks for allowing free speech ... and, I do apologize for the politics.

In fact, I am ashamed of them!

Dude,

I never mentioned Vietnam ... and we were not the target!

? Thailand a fortress: I must inform you that the bombs that JI set off in Bali were constructed in Southern Thailand.

... and, what about Hambali ?? ... etc. ??

No nation is a fortress in the war on terror ... let's call it as it really is.

".. up on wireless" ... perhaps, but the terrorists seem to keep coming yp with other means.

Perhap's Thaksin's was the first of such aquisitions ... remember, he obtained his PhD at the University of Texas ... a friend of G.W.

We need LOS as a member of the 'coalition' now, perhaps more than ever. The Kingdom must be better prepared to defend us peace loving tourits/residents, not to mention the Thai population itself ... specifically, those who truely stand for freedom, and a terror free society.

Archived