Where to get a textile visa?

I am looking for a place (cheap) that still has not filled their quota on textile visas? If anybody can give some leads it would be helpful. I need it from Thailand to US. As for shipping, I already have a place for shipping so the visa has to be seperate from the shipping.

Textile visa?

Never heard of such a thing.

Quota maybe?

If it's textile quota into the US, then it's not so easy, you need to be much more specific as to what you are looking for: cloth, t-shirts, polos, pants, and also material.

If it is visa, would appreciate some education on the subject.

<<burp>>

Not sure myself - I have heard both used interchangably. I have some documents somewhere saying one has been done away with in Thailand and US Customs under imports have a section dealing with it. The shipping companies in Thailand seem to use both expressions interchangeably. I suspect the confusion is that people like me turn everything over to the shipper to handle with the understanding that the textile visa (maybe quota) will be gotten by them.

What is getting shipped back is clothing - I do realize that each item comes with a different price. What I am looking for is not the packaged deal (shipping and the textile visa or maybe it is the textile visa quota but only the textile visa (quota) because I can get the shipping at a good rate somewhere else.

The place I was using would call another business and arange for it over the phone.

Was able to find this, which may cause more confusion. Article found on US CUstoms web site, named

WTO QUOTA ELIMINATION

Frequently Asked Questions

7. (Q) Why is a visa required for goods exported in 2004 and entered in 2005 when there is no longer any applicable quota?

(A) The United States has committed itself to the enforcement of its international agreements. The bilateral textile agreements require all goods exported in 2004 that are subject to a visa requirement to have a visa, regardless of the date of entry into the United States.

If you can help in this matter I would appreciate it.

From another site it appears that your goods have to be quota eligible and then you apply for the visa IF both are required from Thailand.

From this website: http://tinyurl.com/5tsuo

Textile Visa - A textile visa serves as an endorsement in the form of a stamp, which is either on an invoice or export control license. The visa is executed by an authorized official of a foreign government. It is used to control the exportation of textiles and their products to the U.S., and prevent the unauthorized entry of controlled textiles into the United States.

A textile visa is needed when you are importing goods from a country with which the U.S. has negotiated limitations on the quantity allowed into the U.S. for a period of time. There are some countries that only require a visa or are subject to quota limits. For example, the Czech Republic has categories that are subject to quota, but do not require a visa. Whereas, categories from Japan require a visa, but do not have quota limits. This all depends on what was negotiated between the exporting country and the U.S.

If a shipment requires just a visa, or just quota, it must still be a type 02 entry and input in the quota module by Customs.

If a visa has an incorrect category, year of export, a lower quantity than is in the shipment or other incorrect or missing data, or if a shipment arrives without a required visa, the entry is not accepted and the merchandise is not released until the importer submits a replacement visa or visa waiver from the foreign government. If the value on the visa and invoice do not match, the importer must provide Customs with a reasonable explanation for the difference. If the importer is unable to supply a reasonable explanation, they should contact the issuing government and

request a replacement visa or visa waiver. If the importer has already submitted the

visa to Customs, they can get a certified copy of the visa from Customs to resubmit

to the issuing country. Customs will not return the original visa to the importer.

Assuming there is no clear explanation for the discrepancy, Customs will not release the goods until a visa is replaced or waived. Customs will allow the importer adequate time to obtain the visa replacement or waiver. It usually takes up to a week to obtain the visa waiver or replacement. If the importer cannot obtain the replacement or waiver, they should export the goods. If there is a possibility they will receive the waiver or replacement, but need more time, a warehouse entry should be considered to store the goods while the visa issue is being sorted out.

-redwood

MM,

Two places to get a Quota. From the factory that you are buying the items, or from a broker.

Now it is very difficult, and expensive to get quotas, especially for Cat 4 items. Expect about 18 baht per piece. Cat 7 items are still about 6 baht per piece. Both also require a minimum of about 1,000 and normally 2,000 pcs before the broker will do it for you. Document fees range from 1,500 baht per transaction and up, depending on what the market will bear.

Cheers!

Hi PM

Also single / multiple country declarations are more prevelant these days and also quota statements. I've also noticed some shipments that arrive with a quota visa also need the form that is similar to the one required for footwear , cant remember the official name , but is has a gazillion questions to be answered on it. Can't speak officially for Thailand exports though , I have no apparel from there , mostly from China , HKG and Sri Lanka. Hope this helps the OP.

Bada :beer: Bing

MightyMouse said:

Not sure myself - I have heard both used interchangably. I have some documents somewhere saying one has been done away with in Thailand and US Customs under imports have a section dealing with it. The shipping companies in Thailand seem to use both expressions interchangeably. I suspect the confusion is that people like me turn everything over to the shipper to handle with the understanding that the textile visa (maybe quota) will be gotten by them.

What is getting shipped back is clothing - I do realize that each item comes with a different price. What I am looking for is not the packaged deal (shipping and the textile visa or maybe it is the textile visa quota but only the textile visa (quota) because I can get the shipping at a good rate somewhere else.

Some background...

Quota is the allocation given to each exporting country by the importing country in question. The government of each exporting country in turn gives out quota to its exporting factories, generally based on historical export performance. For example, a Thai factory wanting to export knit tops to the US would need category 338/9 quota- they are assigned the quota at the beginning of the year by the Ministry of Commerce and when it comes time to export they can apply for a textile visa in that quota category. The visa is used by the customs broker in the US to clear the goods through- without a textile visa (in the correct amount, can be pieces or yardage) US customs simply won't let the goods in. So it's a visa you (may) need.

In some cases a factory may not have the quota allocation but may be able to get quota through a broker- this is a risk to the buyer, however, as there's never any guarantee that the quota will be available. In the past couple of years the government changed the quota system making it harder for brokers to operate- was a complete shambles as it took a few months to implement and meanwhile hundreds of containers began to pile up in the US and in Europe as no one could get visas.

It's an import quota system, meaning that once the total amount allocated to a country is used up then an embargo is placed on that category- meaning no goods get let in. Some countries (like Bangladesh) have had issues with forged textile visas. The categories are split according to the type of fabric, application, and age group. Some categories are free quota to some markets (for example newborn and infantware to the US) from either specific countries or the world.

As a whole quite a confusing system. Has always been used as a political bargaining chip and a couple of years ago Pakistain received quite a lot of US quota in reward for its participation in the 'war on terror'.

As per the WTO Uruguay Round, the quota system ends at the end of this year. Starting from 2005 any WTO-member country (including Thailand) will be able to ship to the US quota-free. It'll certainly make things easier but people are very apprehensive- over the next couple of years there are going to be major changes in the global textile industry as some countries (like Sri Lanka) built up big industries around their quota allocation which will now be threatened by more competitive markets like China and India. The net effect also will be cheaper clothes in the West as the market distortion provided by the quota system is removed.

Getting back to your situation, if you are shipping personal effects back to your home country then there's no need for a textile visa- it's only for goods shipped for resale. If you are shipping clothes back to sell then you'll need a visa- which will have to be obtained from either the manufacturer or a broker. If you bought clothes at Pratunam market then it's unlikely the wholeseller will have any quota- I'd contact your freight forwarder and see if they can refer you to a broker, but for small quantities it'll be costly.

Realy if you're sending back a couple of boxes of shirts to sell at a flea market or something like that then I recommend you don't bother- just remove the tags (if there are any) and ship the stuff over as personal effects.

MM,

I might have missed out something but try to find a shipping agent who will provite you the quota and certificate of origin no matter where you bought the goods. It used to be the way to go. I'll PM U the name of one I used a few years ago... if only I remember...

AP,

Times have completed changed over the last 2 years. What used to be a simple and inexpensive means of getting a quota has been completely shut down. No way for your "friendly freight forwarder" to do this anymore.

Crash's piece was exactly spot on - but also includes most of the EU countries also. I personally expect to see Vietnam become the next powerhouse in textile production behind China. Bangladesh and Sri Lanka may fall off the map (but then that may spark more regulation in the WTO to protect their economies).

In the end (if it happens as expected) then prices for all types of ready made garments should decrease initially before increasing as the manufacturers and countries take steps to realign their industries and economies.

Cheers!

Archived