Where were you at 9am EST 9/11...

I was living in BKK at that time and used to hang out around suk 4, 3 and 3/1. Some things changed but can't recall much agressivity in the air.

A while later when there was that riot in an afgani jail, I was laying on a couch smoking shisha in an upstairs BKK arab restaurant, and Al Jezeera was showing people getting killed on screen, some rolling down the fortress' hill after getting shot. Weird atmosphere and some comments I wished I could have understood...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in the country where most of the hijackers came from, Saudi.

I was watching the 4 pm news after work and saw the whole thing live.

It was surreal.

There were roadblocks and police checks everywhere for the next few months.

The Saudis i knew blamed it on the Jews saying it was a Zionist plot and that the perpertrators where not really Saudis.

Zorro,

Ever heard of the muslim community living in denial??

That's one of the things that bugs me with them, the number of times I heard this kind of crap since 9/11 got me very tired of talking with them...

PS: the question was obviously only rethorical

I know for some this may seem a bit far fetched but Saudis have more in common with Thais than what one might first imagine.

Arabs never like to be the bearer of bad news likewise Thais.

Arabs like Thais never admit being wrong.

Arabs like Thais promise to do things and never come through.

Arabs like Thais are not confrontational at all UNTIL they lose face and then they go ballistic.

Arabs like Thais are baldfaced liars in many instances.

Yep more cultural similarities than what you would think.

Not sure about middle east but northern african in Europe are definetely confrontational. They have such a tres chic way to antagonize a huge proportion of the people they adress, the question "what do they expect?" comes as a tough one.

Not sure how much it's linked but it gives an idea of how well tolerated they are in some circles. While 10% of the french population is muslim and I'm dealing with people from various ethnic and religious origins, including quite a few from middle east, the number of muslims I heard of in our trade in France is astounding : zero

Gomez,

I was on that same flight. I was shocked to see so many Northwest cargo planes on the tarmac. The long wait on the ground and the security check when we got to the gate was memorable. It was not until after I telephoned the family that I knew what had happened. If you noticed, there were no television sets on in the airport and the pilot did not say what had happened.

I was on that same flight.
Amazing. I was sitting here thinking how interesting it was that forum members were spread so far and wide, then read your post. Small world.

During the long wait, the lady beside me asked a stewardess about a dozen times what was going on and they just said they didn't know. Some people must have known, multi-band mobile phones aren't that new of an invention, but no one around me did.

Then the RCMP body search as you got off the plane. You knew something big had happened, but never imagined anything as obscene.

I was in Singapore having dinner with the head of American Airlines in Asia when his phone rang - his secretary was alerting him to the crash as it involved an AA plane. His face went white and all of us at the dinner knew something was wrong. within 2 minutes, seemingly every mobile in the restauarnt was ringing and everybody was trying to get the TV's turned on - however this restauarant only had sport cabling and so we ended up going to a bar in Orchard Towers to watch the unfolding disaster. AA guy had to make his excuses and go to his office leaving me to pick up the bill for the dinner he was hosting.

Archived