Where were you at 9am EST 9/11...

check_bin_krap said:

I was preparing to leave to Cuba the next day, shocked and wondered whatever was happening. Nobody knew what would happen next.

The flight did leave. Due to more tight security checks my backage didn't. It was the start of a downtime period for tourism to Cuba, it wasn't just the US who suffered.

The entire world suffered..That was the intent. A poor man selling chicken will not have money educate/feed his children and those COWARDS knew what they were doing!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

Just waking up after a night shift, heard something on the radio about it, put telly on and thought I was watching a Arnie movie through my sleepy eyes. Evil bastards but not cowards, what they did wasn't a noble brave thing, but I cant agree cowards. The US will get through it with its guille and strength, fuck the terroists.

9/11, Had just woke up, around 6or so California time, had a weird feeling...was supposed to be headed to LOS later that week, preoccupied with packing. Turned on the tube, and saw the result of the first plane. Was watching as the second one hit, live. Remember the announcer saying "...this is no accident..." a few minutes later, the words Osama Bin Laden and Al-quada poped up...watched a bit, went back to sleep, went to work that afternoon and found out about the other 2 airplanes. 2 of the aircraft belonged to our company (United), and we all knew it was the beginning of the end for the industry as a whole. Now, 3 years later, we are bankrupt, US Air is about to go bankrupt again, and most likely out of business sooner than later, Delta is a week or 3 away from filing, American is leveraged to the hilt, and in danger...Alaska just locked out it's overhaul mechanics...the industry is forever changed, as is the world. Sad is, I honestly believe a lot of corporate and government people were just waiting far any event like this to use it as an excuse for some of the cut backs and loop holes and what nots to occur. In other words, the bastards capitalized on a tradgedy for their own selfish gain.

All personal bitching aside, I met the mother of the guy who is said to have "led the charge" on the UAL flight that went down in Pennsylvania. She is/was a flight attendant for UAL. Talk about seeing the walking dead, this woman died that day, her life was lost, though she still lives, and suffers. Makes my trivial day to day bitching seem like nothing.

Flying across the Pacific on a Cathay flight bound for New York. I was only going as far as Vancouver, which is as far as any of my fellow passengers got. We sat on the tarmac for six hours with many many other planes, and I didn't know what had happened until I met my brother in the arrivals lounge after 5pm.

I'm the first person on NanaPlaza.com to be able to say, "I was in Nana Plaza". Do I win a prize?

To be precise, I was sitting in the now defunct Sugarbeat bar outside Rainbow 2, with an eye on the TVs (televisions, not transexuals) so I caught it almost straight away as it came on a headline ticker. It was a rather bizarre place to see it unfold!

The next day, I went to Thai school where I knew a couple of American students. As part of the day's lesson, I was given to read a freshly-written Thai passage all about the disaster!

By the way, the terrorists don't seem brave at all when you consider that they believed they were going to a special place by virtue of being martyrs. If death holds no fear, only joy, then how can the act of giving your life for a cause be brave?

So, BelgianBoy, where were you for Pearl Harbour? :dunno:

While in Patong, which gets its share of Islamics, there was lots of talk of agression striking back at the Arab world. Thailand took a big hit. Being a fight back type I made plans for a November and December trip. Needless to say high season didn't exsist in 2001. I brought lots of Christmas hats and many gifts for the girls at my regular bar (at that time) but there was just no Falang. Only saving grace was the USS Kitty Hawk Battle Group made liberty in Patong after 100 days at sea. The sailors and marines had lots of money and boy did they spend spend spend for a few days. Other that that the girls said it was the poorest HIGH season in years.

Feb 2002 no better, Songkran 2002 got a little better. Seems things are better now but still not back to the pre 9/11 days.

He Bibster...how was it up there...and how did you do with getting out of LOS?

I get the feeling that many Arabs sort of went into hiding in their hotel as you could fly from Patong to BKK but that was it for a few days.

I had another 5 days but found BKK INt'l was a mess with people living there for a few days. I think I was on one of the first flights out to the US via Narita. I was on my correct flight in my correct seat! All my bitching about Trolly Dollies is true but UA did get the 1K flyer otta there. Anybody else in LOS for the Dark of Day!

So, BelgianBoy, where were you for Pearl Harbour? :dunno:

gimme an address of a medium to hypnotise me, so my previous lifeforms could tell all about Pearl Harbour and all other pertinent questions you can come up with.

might even claim I invented the wheel and started fire :D and bedded the Queen of Sheeba :dunno:

Archived