Ex GF and ethical dilemma

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry, but i don't think so.

first of all, this is not a typical death or life decision. lets not overvalue please the seriousness of AIDS. people nowadays can live with AIDS with proper medication almost as long as non infected. and longer unprotected sex does not necessarily mean infection.

we also do not know if the couple uses condoms or not.

the question is more - after telling: would you be able to carry a lifelong responsibility? would you be ready for that? because an interference of such nature would include that.

and lastly, people die. everybody dies sooner or later. nothing can change that. if someone does not himself (like the boyfriend here) take logic precautions - then he has to live with the risk, and the eventual consequences.

i am perfectly aware of the consequences of not telling, and after considerable deliberation, i can live easier with myself with those, than with the ones of telling AGAINST the wishes of the only person involved i personally know.

check_bin_krap said:

Death takes precedence of all you arguments Fly, they are void.

i want to give you an example of a real life/death decision regarding AIDS that doctors have to make every single day here in thailand. the question of taking an infected into the program or not. if someone infected who is on antiretrovirals is getting sloppy with his medicine he will very soon be taken off the program, and he most definately will not get back into the program anywhere in thailand. that is a moral dillemma practising doctors have to face, but there is a case where death is chosen over life, and perfectly legitimate, for a reason.

but there is another thing similar to what we talk about: many professions have an oath of silence: catholic priests and the confession, lawyers, journalists in certain situations such as protection of sources, and, as far as i know - doctors. what is told there in confidence has to be kept silent. there is a ethical reason for that.

flyonzewall said:

sorry, but i don't think so.

first of all, this is not a typical death or life decision. lets not overvalue please the seriousness of AIDS. people nowadays can live with AIDS with proper medication almost as long as non infected. and longer unprotected sex does not necessarily mean infection.

we also do not know if the couple uses condoms or not.

It is life or death, its just medication slowing it, and with a lot of side effects. Both mind and body.

c'mon - the moment we are born we start dying. and life itself has all sort of sideeffects, including the consequences of our own personal risks we take.

difficult enough often to be responsible for our own actions. why complicate matter already complicated enough by adhering to just one dogma, in this case life or death, without considering all the other factors, such as the burden of responsibility of the actions we take?

can you carry the burden of a lifelong responsibility of a person who very possibly rejects you for the reason that you decided over her head, against her clearly formulated wishes?

It's a pretty moot point, considering it's a year on. If he's with still with her, I doubt he'll still be using those rubbers.

I'd have tried to get through to her that it wasn't a hopeless situation for a long, long time because I'm a very patient person but I know that with these Thai girls, it's a hell of a long haul. Thai girls and their acceptance of 'inevitable' fate - sigh... :(

[color:"red"] Can't care less about guilt: I am just talking about possibly saving one life, today! that's all.

[/color]

Sounds very noble, but what are the offsets of your actions? What does it do to her life? What if he's HIIV-positive too, and now she goes one infecting another? Sure, it's all hypothetical, but not more so as your stance of "saving one life."

Like I said, you're addressing the symptoms, instead of the root of the problem. Work on something, work on her denial, and I fear it's too late for that. I think the girl forced a break in the relationship with Zenseless, so she could forget all about this aids-shit.

Cheers,

soongmak

flyonzewall said:

c'mon - the moment we are born we start dying. and life itself has all sort of sideeffects, including the consequences of our own personal risks we take.

difficult enough often to be responsible for our own actions. why complicate matter already complicated enough by adhering to just one dogma, in this case life or death, without considering all the other factors, such as the burden of responsibility of the actions we take?

can you carry the burden of a lifelong responsibility of a person who very possibly rejects you for the reason that you decided over her head, against her clearly formulated wishes?

You are just avoiding a moral dilemma, cause its uncomfortable. Mind you, you might have faced it in life - I have not. So maybe I am the one full of shit. Quite possible, I often am.

Archived