Exchanging Large Amounts of Cash

Pianoman

Is there any problems with a guy going into a local (BKK) bank and exchanging $6,000. to $8,000. US into Baht??? I know in the US there is a hassele if over $10K, due to drug money, and I know that you are not suppose to bring in more than $2K US to Thailand... But have several large purchases that will require cash...

Pianoman

I exchanged about 4K US last summer to pay a dowry at the exchange booth in front of Robinson's on Sukhumvit and had no problems at all. I know you are not supposed to leave the US with more than 10 grand unless you declare it with the US Customs Service, but what's this about not bringing in more than 2 thousand into Thailand, never heard of that regulation before.

I remember reading somewhere that you needed to declare amounts over $2K coming into Thailand... May have been on the Visa Application on the plane.. By that time, after spending 18 to 20 hours in airports and airplanes, I have a hard time remembering where I am going, let alone information that I'm probably going to ignore anyway...

Pianoman

In terms of actualy changing the money, no problem at all. With cash, go to a money changer where you will get a superior rate than at the bank and 1% of the amount that you are talking about is significant. The best money exchange place that I know of is called Siam exchange and it is on Phyarthai Road, about 50 metres up from the Patumwan intersection (where siam Square / MBK / Siam Discovery are). Be careful with that amount of money because that is many years salary to the average Thai.

Stick

Pianoman -- You can change large amounts of cash at Sukhumvit Soi 9 or 9/1, not sure of the exact corner but the nme of the place is VASU. I think it's actually a travel agency but at the counter in the back they will change any currency for a higher rate than can be gotten at a street exchange. They exchange cash only and it's relatively in the open so I guess it's legal. However, if you want a record all you'll get is an adding machine tape. I've cashed thousands of USD here at 1 or 1.5 Baht higher than the going street exchange rate and never had a problem. Good luck, Guido.

according to the thai government there is no limit on the amount of currency you can bring into thailand- however, there are new laws about transactions you make that involve more than 2 million baht- you must declare where the money came from- this includes wire transfers

tanha

Archived