Thai Monks behaving badly?

[color:"red"]Sorry about being persistent, but are you talking about the boiling of babies here?

Because I for one find it very hard to believe that that is a common practise or rather mainstream as you put it.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

[/color]

The same as I posted earlier, it is the process to ready the bodies for cremation.

Allow me to share my experience. My father was a policeman, killed in action over 30 years ago. Those days he was qualified to have the King's sponsored cremation but it would take around 6-10 months before the funeral could be sponsored (also his only daughter me, was not close enough to get to the funeral) so they burried him. After around a year and everything was ready for the formal funeral, my father's body was dugged out, boiled, so they had only bones left for cremation. Of course, it was done by some policemen and some monks and the only thing left of my father was bones to be cremated. How do I feel about this? Awful then and I regret that I asked, I was only 17, not a good knowledge for young girl like me thinking about her beloved parent being boiled! :(

IMO, it is common pratice for many funerals where bodies were buried first and dugged out later to be cremated.

Also, some people or monks donate their bodies to the temple for whatever belief, are processed. Some people do want to keep certain parts of some monks (the ones believed to have power) for magic or whatever, what better way than grilling the flesh? I remember my grandfather having a piece of flesh that looked like leather which he told me was from his monk-teacher and when my grandfather died, it was cremated with him.

On "nam man prai" as Fly said, I have no idea that it is still praticed!!! ::

Jasmine

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"]Yes, this my wife does know about, and believes in. She was literally in tears begging me not to go when I was invited to a wedding in Surin (home of the voodoo witches ).

[/color]

Yes the black magic is supposed to be praticed well in Cambodia and parts of Thailand with Cambodia background.

A Surin lady told me once that the magic made a lot bargirls popular with their customers and she said that is one charm the Isaan people have. She used to tease me for being shocked on what she told me, however, I do feel that these things cannot be scorned, don't have to beleive them though. Living in Louisiana for 16 years, I have my fill of black magic and I intend to leave the belief alone. :)

Jasmine

>>>Also, some people or monks donate their bodies to the temple for whatever belief, are processed. Some people do want to keep certain parts of some monks (the ones believed to have power) for magic or whatever, what better way than grilling the flesh? I remember my grandfather having a piece of flesh that looked like leather which he told me was from his monk-teacher and when my grandfather died, it was cremated with him.<<<

very often, after the death of a revered monk, ashes or bonepieces are put into special editions of commemorative amulets, or even amulets carved out of one parts, with the theory that particular energetic powers are beneficial to the wearer. interesting to note is the similarity there to tantric philosophies.

>>>On "nam man prai" as Fly said, I have no idea that it is still praticed!!! <<<

it is practised in secret, as highly illegal. you'll get a lot of potions which claim to contain nam man pai, but are usually fake. *real* nam man pai is getting very high prices on the amulet markets (but there mostly fake as well). generally it is just given the way of teacher to disciple.

i have to say though that i was once given by a family member a potion where he clamed it contained nam man pai. i don't really want to actually find out, but given that those sort of practises are still rather common in my missus area, there definately is a certain likelyhood... ::

Hi Jasmine,

>>>How do I feel about this? Awful then and I regret that I asked, I was only 17, not a good knowledge for young girl like me thinking about her beloved parent being boiled! <<<

You were still living there then, right? You found it disturbing to you then, at the time it happened? Or more so, later?

HT

[color:"red"]You were still living there then, right? You found it disturbing to you then, at the time it happened? Or more so, later?

[/color]

yes, went back (from the USA)to finish the 12th grade there after spending sometime as an exchange student.

I actually did not find it disturbing, perhaps I was explained well about the needs to process the body. How else could they set up the funeral which a body in a coffin and the prayers from monks lasted 7 days? It would have been inappropriate to dig out a body which was burried for a year and placed it in a coffin as it was dugged out!!

Please be aware that I was trained to go to a medical school so I was famaliar with the concept of dissecting bodies also was trained to meditate looking at bodies by seperating parts of bodies. ::

Anyhow, the "plong sankhar" just means that our bodies are imperminent and all beauties we see, fade and just skin-deep. So when we are in deep lust (especially for someone whom we should not), just imagine the person without the skin!! (Oh dear I am getting morbid!).

Jasmine

HIGH THAIED said:

Hi Fly,

>>>especially the aghora cult, where those meditations are brought to unbelievable extremes.<<

Can you elaborate?

HT

well, it's been a while since i read my books on it (but all confirmed by the one of the two practitioneers i have met who has opened up to me, and several goraknath babbas who follow another, softer tantric way).

left handed tantrism is is somehow a way to force down enlightenment now, in this life. in order to do do that the practitioneer, after a certain testing period, completely, absolutely surrenders to his/her guru. this is maybe the tightest guru/disciple relationship in the realm of hinduism.

he then gets by his guru a protective goddes he visualises, mostly one of the many aspects of tara according to his character. if, for example, he is prone to lust, his guru might assign him the terrible "smashan tara" - the tara who resides on the burning ghats where corpses are burned. the practitioneer then has to spend years of visualisation to bring this protective goddess alive as a separate entity besides his own. this is important as a lot in the lefthanded tantrism depends on complete reversion of anything, including morals etc. rules for example are that a follower can only beg food from untouchables, in the hindu realm the most *polluting* cast, has to reside at smashan ghats (funeral places), also highly impure (spiritually).

that means also that the practioneer ingets poisons, rotting human flesh (all under strictest supervision of his guru), even supposedly cuts off and reattaches parts of his own body during his meditations. also sexual meditations are known, where sexual intercourse happens (but NOT according to distortions of pseudo teachers to reach a *superorgasm*). ejaculation and lust have to be avoided under any circumstances. the ejaculate is held back and stored for uses of energetic transformation.

at the endstages the practitioneer is supposed to destroy the carefully, over so many years visualised protective goddess, as she is just part of the large, all encopassing illusion an unenlightened being spends all his life in. that was told to me is the most difficult part of that particular way.

well, this particular practise of lefthanded tantrism is seen as the most difficult and ardeous method to reach enlightenment. pitfalls are at every stage, and the result of a mistakes is complete madness.

also, this way is far from accepted by even fellow tantric followers, who argue that it simply is too difficult to go, and most practitioneers either change to other tantric ways or end up mad. needless to say that only very few people do follow that way.

HIGH THAIED said:

Hi Fly,

What is 'nam man prai'?

HT

i think we talked at the beginning of the thread somewhere about that potion. hua nguu has posted the link to an interesting article which explains how nam man prai is won from a corpse.

Oh my God....

Have you actualy ever met anyone who made it to the end of tantric enlightenment?

Jeeze...talk about exstremism.

>>>at the endstages the practitioneer is supposed to destroy the carefully, over so many years visualised protective goddess, as she is just part of the large, all encopassing illusion an unenlightened being spends all his life in.<<

So the end primary goal, is to destroy anything you desire? Including, even the image that brought you there?

HT

Archived