Thai Monks behaving badly?

Hi Jasmine,

<<<The person who reached the stage of enlightment lets go of all desires. Boasting that he is one would be the desire to want somebody to know HT>>

I understand, Jazz. :hug:

HT

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi LP,

You can say that again!

And I would also like to seize the opportunity to thank FlyW and Jasmine for their insightful postings on this subject.

Easily one of the most interesting posts for quite some time.

Not sure though, if I wouldn`t have preferred instead to remain in blissfull ignorance of these practices. :o

Guess I don`t have the stomach for that.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

but I stand by that boiling human bones is very odd

--------------------------

If you had written first with such words, i would not have replied the way I did. You just did seem to deny that there could be a perfectly respected and meaningful ritual in doing this.

Not every thai person knows about it, for reasons i saidm but also because they might not be born or living in a district or town where this is (still) practiced.

>>>Not every thai person knows about it, for reasons i saidm but also because they might not be born or living in a district or town where this is (still) practiced. <<<

happens all over the country, from the deep south up to the north. i am invited to take part in such a ceremony, a very large one involving more than 3000 graves, very closed to bangkok next month. interesting to note, this one is about a year ahead of schedule, too many unclaimed corpses filled up the graveyard since last years drugwar and subsequent wave of violence. a better indicator of what is going on here than looking at officially doctored statistics.

yes, jasmine, absolutely right, it would take ages to talk about it, and we still would have no clue what we are talking about it.

-----------------------

as it is beyond words and language. True religious experience starts where words do not suffice anymore. The old monk had merely pointed you (we, actually) were still caught in Samsara and enjoying it still ( I do, immensely). hence his advice to take the best care of yourself, body and mind, as samsara (the realm of physical manifestations and illusions born out of them) is also where our wants, needs, lives, wishes lead to suffering.

a better indicator of what is going on here than looking at officially doctored statistics.

----------------------------------------

It also maybe explains why thais sometimes deal with social mishaps and extra-judiciary killings without too much violence or malcontentment. In that case, they would still believe that justice, not human now, is rendered to these dead people by this type of rituals that redeem in some ways those deceased.

Also, i would like to point, that this is not pure buddhist ritual, but strongly animist ones meshed with Buddhism. One of the most fascinating subjects, and i am glad when it still survives the onslaught of modernism.

Archived