Thai Monks behaving badly?

16 years ago, when i was 20, i came to asia, mainly as an escape not to get into the threadmill of western life, and to get rid of some ghosts of the past.

my main intension was to experience as many aspects of life as possible. which i basically did.

i was derailed for a few years because i somehow slipped into a rather fast and surprising career with the thing which is the driving force of my life.

that very promising career got fucked up pretty seriously a bit more than two years ago, more or less from one day to the other by events far beyond my control, which had the positive effect that i had to reconsider why i actually came to asia - to experience life.

that's it. for all i know about asia i have not much clue though what for most of you guys is normal daily bread,nothing you have to spend much though on - life in normal western society.

but that is how i choose, and so far i am still very happy with it, and convinced that i made the right choice. it's just the way how i like to live. ::

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, thinking again. to be honest, that career got fucked up by a combination of events far beyond my control and another thing i realised only slowly, that i also got increasingly uncomfortable with that career, that it is/was not really the thing i wanted for my life, especially the way i was heading to, and so subconsciously did not take the necessary steps to salvage the wreck.

the painful at that time, or in hindsight lucky thing was, that i was just more or less centimeters away from major league in my field when the shit came crashing down.

Hi,

Ok...so I'll assumed 16 years experience, is your answer. Good enough for me. ::

But my gf has lived there her whole life, and woud have no idea what you are taking about. Can that just be chalked up to a , "Thirst of knowledge"?, on your part? Sorry...not meaning to pry. Just courious.

HT

LP,

"sitting around human parts like Hyenas on the savannah is repugnant"

That's sort of how I looked at it as well.

Fly,

I'm sure they have their best intentions, beliefs and all their 'magical' and 'spiritual' superstitions but where I come from and many with me such activities aren't seen as 'normal'. Not wanting to judge, let them enjoy themselves.

None of my friends know this. Sounds like a very old custom practised in small villages faaaaaaaaaar from the civilized world.

IMHO this just doesn't fit in today's world. A lot of things actually. ::

she didn't have a clue I as to what I was talking about.

-----------------------

First, Thanks FlyW for telling us so much about something few know about. To me, it is a thousand times more interesting than most topics here on NP, and I am sorry there are not enough of us here, to have threads like this more often.

To LP: this is not our world, that is what is fucking fascinating about traveling. It is much more than boiling babies as we would interpretate it by our western moral standards. We need to get out of our skin sometimes, so to speak and just look! not try to bring down evrything to "IMO", because at home "we don't do that".

I picked KS's excerpt because there is no one to blame, it's the shape of things this day, but thais are ever becoming modern (not just in BKK) and leaving the old ways behind, to the point that they, like westerners, have no idea how rich their own customs and culture are, the fabric of their life is increasingly based on copying western ways and following western trends.

I am not surprised the reaction can therefore be like the one LP has. It is like nothing they see on CNN and whatever, and if it is, it must be very far from them, maybe a thai custom, but so foreign to them already.

PS: BTW, i thought this was on A&C.

Archived