Shopkeepers

Zaad

Hi,

"No interest whatsoever"

I think that, once again, you can blame that on the education system here. Independent thought is not promoted (often even discouraged) in many schools here. Just listen to teach and be able to regurgitate, no need to actually understand and certainly no need to question.

Sanuk!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are another two that get me going.

Stocking shelves during the day. I hate it when I'm trying to shop in a store like Tops and clerk is moving a huge pallette down the ailse, or doesn't feel oblige to move so I get an item off the shelf. They look at you like YOU are getting in THEIR way. Stores in the US usually stock shelves overnight which I think is a really nice policy.

The other thing I hate is the checkout at most 7-11s. Now, I know there are a million of these places in Thailand and I'm sure some are good. It just seems like most every time I go to a 7-11, the people checking you out are moving in slow motion. Or, they are having a conversation and won't break away to take your money.

jxxxl said:

Sometimes I want to browse and I have a person following about two steps behind me. I make it clear that I am just looking but the clerk just wont bugger off. Then, if I do ask them a question, often they don't know the answer.

Yep. just happened yesterday, in the local shopping mall.

Looking at nice colored shirts at one of the many different shops. Within seconds a lady jumped in and started pulling OTHER shirts out and interfere with the ones I was looking at.

Sure enough the colors she imposed to my view were not at all to my taste and I got upset I even could no longer admire the shirts I was looking at. Go figure, I buggered off and left the area completely, forgetting about buying a shirt, because the same thing would happen in the next shop two steps away.

Last year I went to buy a motorbike in a big Honda shop.

When I asked the difference between a Honda Dream and Honda Wave the lady could not answer. No clue whatsover.

One month ago I went to buy a DVD reader, new the specification I wanted, DVD-R, DVD+R, VCD, MP3 etc, I even had a PC burnt DVD with me, tried him out on the equipment I identified in the shop and bought the thing. The salesperson had no clue what all these DVD-something are all about...

[color:"red"] They surely have plenty of time to just pick up a phone or manual and start gaining a little knowledge.

No interest whatsoever, a shame really as they can gain a lot from their work apart from the salary only, if they only spent their free time more wisely.

[/color]

Now that is another subject all together about the average Thais do not want to learn, I am very disturbed about that.

My brother told me about the kids around his home, all students really, who never inquired once what books my brother reads (he reads often under the tree on the street in front of his house) and they pass by without being curious. He said that becuase when we were growing up we were so curious about books that we got our hands on them as much as we could. No library in that small town then and we went around to people's houses asking to borrow books and magazines. ::

I went to take driver license test when I was in Thailand. We had a lot of time waiting for the test so I and my niece sat around and read while no other people even have a book or newspaper with them. I remember in Japan people read all the time. Thailand is having problem definitely! :(

Jasmine

I went to take driver license test when I was in Thailand. We had a lot of time waiting for the test so I and my niece sat around and read while no other people even have a book or newspaper with them. I remember in Japan people read all the time. Thailand is having problem definitely!

Good observation, never realized this, but very true.

You might have heard from other posts of mine that I used to live in Phitsanulok for a good while. And because of this I have over 50 traintrips (back and forth) under my belt. Not really something I'm proud of :) But worth mentioning since everytime I got myself into a 6-hour train trip I always brought reading material with me. And so did the majority of other fellow farang passengers btw. The other 100 Thais? maybe 5% did but the rest just sleeps or looks at the passing view. Not once but every single time for 3 good years. I'm sure this habit is still going on and won't stop any time soon.

[color:"red"] The other 100 Thais? maybe 5% did but the rest just sleeps or looks at the passing view. Not once but every single time for 3 good years. I'm sure this habit is still going on and won't stop any time soon.

[/color]

Don't understand this not reading at all Zaad, such a waste of time, no hunger for knowledge or what??? :(

My nephew is like that too, he rather sits in a comotosed way than cracking a book!

Come to think of it, Hubby does not read much but he reads, for me I cannot think about the day that I don't read, don't like reading news much though.

Jasmine

[color:"red"] They look at you like YOU are getting in THEIR way. Stores in the US usually stock shelves overnight which I think is a really nice policy.

[/color]

It is nice, however, try that in Thailand, ones will have empty shops in the morning!

Lots of stealing is still going on in Thailand, sad that the people who steal think nothing of it. One of the main teachings of Buddhism is "Not steal" and these people are claimed to be Buddhists :(

[color:"red"]It just seems like most every time I go to a 7-11, the people checking you out are moving in slow motion. Or, they are having a conversation and won't break away to take your money. [/color]

Have you ever seen the cashiers in Louisiana or any deep Southern State? Not much better than the ones in Thailand.

Jasmine

Books in Thailand are expensive! So is the newspaper!

Newspaper 7 baht

wage for clerk - lets say 200 baht per day

Newspaper in US. $.50 or 20 baht

wage for clerk - lets say $6.00 X 8 hours = $48.00 or 2000 baht

US newspaper is 1% of what a clerk makes in one day.

In Thailand, 3.5% of what a clerk makes in one day.

The cost of a newspaper is 3 and 1/2 times more (in respect to daily wage) in Thailand then it is in the US. This is probably the main reason not many read books, newspapers, etc.

MM,

Good point. I do notice Thais will read the newspapers and magazines left around the shops if they are not having to pay for them. Good observation there MM. Lots of shops/restaurants/noodle shops in Pattaya I've noticed have a rack with the week's newspapers in them. I see Thais browsing through them to find something to read all the time. I think you may be spot on there brother. Maybe buying reading material is thought a bit too expensive, or a waste of money for a lot of Thais, rather than some lack of wanting to read or learn.

Cent

Archived