Sendin' the family: Hangin' w/Daddy's old friends

Sendin' the family to the States: Hanging with some old friends

Tonight is the night where the girls find out that Dad was pretty cool when he was young (ya, right, in yer dreams!). We are meeting a group of my old musician friends at a local brew pub. Amongst the group are Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame DJ Dusty Street (ya, it's her real name, at least that's what's on her driving license) and a local top DJ "Mr. X" on the hip-hop station (he does not use his real name). And assorted recording industry, ad industry, washed up musicians and media types among whom are amongst my best friends in the States. Kewl.

The whole gang and the girls hit it off well. And they were especially surprised when one of the guys (who flew O-1s as a Raven in Laos) spoke to them in somewhat discernable Thai. Great fun, laughter, and beers/scotch were flowing. Cokes & 7Ups for the girls of course. We were in full way-back-machine mode, yukking it up with tales of stupidity from over the years and looking at some old pix that someone brought (including some of a group of us, ya me too, dressed in full-on punk gear -- leathers, Mohawk hair, dog collars, Doc Martens, etc.!). The daughters thought it was odd, but they had fun laughing at the silly old farangs and learning some surprising things about dear ol' Dad. A few of us (not me, waaayyy to rusty) even got up and played a couple of songs when the band was on break. Squeals of delight from daughters, who immediately wanted guitar & drum lessons.

Then my daughters made the mistake(?) of mentioning that they thought that they needed farang names. Well, since they are so tight, we all decided that they needed to have names of some famous female duo. Lucy & Ethel and LaVerne & Shirley were immediately eliminated. After digging through many, many show biz & music industry names, we came up with something that the girls liked. I am not so sure, aw, heck it's fine. Besides, they are too young to get it, they just liked the names. Wendy & Lisa. You know...the percussionists for Prince's band in the early 80's. Now they want to listen to my old Prince CDs. I just hope that they do not really understand the lyrics to "Darling Nikki" LOL!

Several days later, I am not sure that those names will stick. But maybe. We'll see when they start school.

We went to the hip-hop station on the invite of the morning DJ. Wendy & Lisa thought that was waaayyy kewl and were even more excited when they each got to press the play button on the CD machine to send a song over the air. "X" is a good guy and great with kids.

Through X, we also scored passes to both House of Blues & The Joint concert venues. It's good to have friends in the ad/enterainment biz LOL! Plan is to see El Vez (the Mexican Elvis), De La Soul, Norah Jones and Kid Rock in an effort to broaden their musical tastes from Thai pop and Linkin Park (they ARE excited about seeing Kid Rock). These passes include back stage access, but dunno if we will actually get to meet anybody. I am bummed that I will not be in town to see Skinny Puppy on 10/15. Oh well.

Oh, I am proud of my girls too. The first item of clothing they wanted to buy were Chuck Taylors! Traditional black, but low tops (could not convince them that hi-tops were much cooler). Regardless, still very cool, cuz now, as was then (early 80's), only the tres chic folks wear Chucks, as they are NOT pathetically trendy. I regaled them with tales of the stars-n-stripes and glen plaid Chucks I had back in the day. Good job gals...they have retained the lesson I have pounded into their heads: "Do not be sheep - be yourself!"

Cheers,

SD

Archived