NWA dropping seats to BKK

TroyinEwa/Perv

Not sure how or if it will affect anything as far as prices or availability of seats for you guys but NWA is going from a 747-400 down to an A330-200 starting on November 2nd. That is a loss of 160 seats for the way the 330 is configured. I am personally kind of stunned that NWA would downgrade this particular trip. I checked the loads for the rest of the month and there were exactly 3 days that the 330 could handle the loads booked. The other 27 days required an aircraft with more seats than the A330 has. So the bookings are there but the 160 seat reduction apparently seemed necessary. I keep telling myself for my own mental health that I must not see the big picture.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have seen 7, 8 , 9 NWA planes and 6,7 UA planes at Narita docked at the same time.

After arriving there, they go to Hong Kong, Taipei, Bangkok, Shangai...

They must be consolidating what goes to BKK only.

UA rebooked me once for TG, telling me that 100US$ credit should cover me for their need to get full route BKK-NRT-LAX revenue passengers instead of about 80 of us going to NRT only. I believe we all were on el-chippo tickets that were 200US$ each direction (sold as group travel).

I think we were the only 80 passengers on that TG (747-400) flight.

Could be something in that direction that NWA biz analysts have realized.

Yes there are many flight out to other places from NRT. Some airline have two per day. Accounting for all the return flights headed east there are many many. UA pax enjoy the huge new terminal which still is not big enough! Lucky about Star Alliance as noted above you have more chances to no miss a flight due to over booking. I'm expecting to be switched on my next trip as Business is oversold by 30% and the will then fill all the Star Alliance Carriers. Getting to BKK is not all htat hard if the carrier you chose has good partners and lots of flights at NRT as there will just play checkers with the planes to get you there!

A330s are already there:

Tuesday, October 5, 2004 at 03:35 JST

NARITA ? A Northwest Airlines aircraft developed engine trouble after taking off from Narita airport and returned to the airport in an emergency landing at around 4:40 p.m. Monday, airport officials said.

None of the 210 passengers and crew onboard the Airbus A330 bound for San Francisco was hurt, officials said.

(Kyodo News)

Fly ANA! Problem solved.

Until NWA and UA can leave BKK at a civilized hour (no 4 am check-in crap thank you!) and learn that in-flight service goes beyond cup noodles or a stale sandwich, I won't fly with the imposters!

I suppose in 2010 they will boast about their 'all new' personal in-flight entertainment programs. ::

I'm not saying they are or aren't already there, I'm saying this is a silly route to put this particular aircraft on. I work for this pissant airline and the last few years I have made about 8 or 9 trips over and I also keep an eye on the loads periodically. During this time, I have had to take alternate routes including other airlines because ours is full and when I opted not to do this on 2 occasions, I was bumped because there was no seat for me. This flight is consistently booked to well over what the A330 would hold, 243 people. To go from the biggest ship we have, a 747-400 that holds 403 people and drop 160 seats tells me that this company has no clue what they are doing. They could put 2 747's a day on this trip, side by side, and fill them both. As stated earlier, the A330 is there to replace the DC-10 so I understand it going to SFO and from PDX to NRT. I just don't get the thinking behind dropping an already full airplane down in size. Just venting here........ :dunno:

Archived