Bird flu kills tigers in Thailand

BelgianBoy

it's got to be done as in Hong Kong .......... burn the cull.

Not freeze and warehouse it to trade for jets.......... :banghead:

250,000 TONS ............ that's a lot of chicken.

IMO WHO should quaranteen the country until they dispose of them properly. Or risk a pandemic around the world.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flash and All,

Actually this is all pretty scary stuff. I was in the Sri Rachada Tiger Zoo the day before they closed it. We had our pictures taken with a baby tiger we handled. (Don't think they feed the baby ones raw chicken, but who the hell knows.) We were there all day. I fished for Crocodile (fed the crocs from fishing poles) which were baited with raw chicken carcasses. What truly pisses me off is that the zoo owners and managers knew days before (maybe even longer I suspect)that tigers were getting sick and some had already died, but withheld the info due to financial considerations. The tiger zoo makes around 800,000 baht a day. That's a good chunk of change. These cunts should be hung, after being drawn and quartered. I wonder what Taksin will do to them? Hmmmm?

Cent

Jit,

I agree. When I said I was scared I wasn't joking. I was THERE the day before they closed the tiger zoo and killed the sick tigers and culled the suspect ones. I saw how they feed the baby tigers from pigs. If the tigers can get it from eating raw chicken, and maybe can transfer the virus between each other, wouldn't it be possible for the pigs to catch it as well? And aren't pigs the ones that usually end up the last on the chain for the virus to mutate into a human transferable virus? It isn't funny unless you are thousands of miles away from it. (Or are you? Thai smuggles two eagles into Europe/Belgium that are infected with the bird flu, coming to a country near you guys out of country as well.) And as I said, what truly pisses me off is the total disregard toward the public by money-grubbing cunts that care for nothing but their profit, as usual. There should be extremely stiff penalties for anyone hiding the spread of any virus.

It's all a big joke until your wife and child are maybe exposed to something possibly deadly. And I'll be damned if I wanna croak due to some fucking chicken snot!

Cent

Interesting points about the mutation of a virus. I think the issue is more serious and could spread/mutate.

Came across a news article a couple of days ago about how eating African "bushmeat" (including the flesh of jungle apes) cuases an HIV like virus referred to as Simian Foamy Virus (not a joke). This virus has been found in people in the Cameroons in West Africa, which is the area where HIV is thought to originate. The guy who has identified this link is a Professor Nathan Wolfe from John Hopkins University, Baltimore, US.

Here's the link:-

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,31500-13240884,00.html

WHO sets flu vaccine summit meeting to deal with pandemic threat

Associated Press

POSTED AT 2:11 PM EST Sunday, Oct 31, 2004

Washington ? The World Health Organization has called an unprecedented summit meeting of flu vaccine makers and nations to ramp up plans for dealing with the growing threat of a flu pandemic.

Sixteen vaccine companies and health officials from the United States and other large countries already have agreed to attend the summit in Geneva, Switzerland, on Nov. 11, said Klaus Stohr, influenza chief of the United Nations' health agency.

With increasing signs that bird flu is becoming established in Asia and several worrisome human cases that can't be linked directly to exposure to infected poultry, it's only a matter of time until such a virus adapts itself to spread more easily from person to person and cause a severe worldwide outbreak, he said.

"We believe that we are closer to the next pandemic than we ever were," Mr. Stohr said in an interview before a speech at a meeting of infectious disease experts in Washington, D.C.

The world's total capacity for flu vaccine now is only 300 million doses, and it would take at least six months to develop a new vaccine to fight a pandemic. The WHO wants to get "all issues on the table," monetary and scientific, that prevent getting more vaccine more quickly, he said.

"If we continue as we are now, there will be no vaccine available, let alone antivirals, when the next pandemic starts," Mr. Stohr said. "We have a window of opportunity now to prepare ourselves."

Bell Globemedia

© 2004 Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click Here

Archived