Bird flu kills tigers in Thailand

BelgianBoy

Bird flu kills tigers in Thailand

The zoo has been closed to visitors

Twenty-three tigers have died at a zoo in Thailand after they ate raw chicken infected with bird flu.

The Sriracha Tiger Zoo in central Chonburi province was shut to the public on Tuesday pending a full investigation.

Up to 30 more tigers are reported to be ill at the zoo, which is home to more than 200 Bengal tigers.

"All 23 dead tigers had bird flu," said Charal Trinvuthipong, of the Bird Flu Prevention and Elimination Center.

"We believe that the tigers contracted bird flu because they ate chicken carcasses, and we believe the carcasses had bird flu," he said.

A recent outbreak of bird flu has ravaged Asian poultry and left more than 30 people dead.

It has also affected domestic cats in Thailand, although health officials have played down the risk of the animals passing the disease to humans.

There has so far been only one possible case of the virus passing from human to human, but officials said it was a one-off.

Health experts are worried that if the virus mixes with a regular human influenza strain, it might create a mutant form that was able to pass between humans, triggering a human flu pandemic.

link

BB

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Bird flu kills tigers in Thailand"

Oh dear! Should I be concerned? Black whoremongering ones, too?

I shall ring my agent immediately and up my insurance policy. That will keep the wife happy LOL!

Cheers,

SD -- considering a name change to NooKow...

Hi,

Story I'm getting tonight is that 70 tigers are sick, with 20 dead already. Happening at a Pattaya Zoo.

Another story brewing, is that it's affecting alligators. Unusual amount of deaths recently, but not confirmed is due to SARS. But is being looked at, as a possible cause. :dunno:

HT

I was told yesterday by one of the most respected members

( at all levels) of Thai society that there are several HUNDRED suspicious human deaths relating to this Bird Flu. This is being completely hushed up.GRANTED I have no specific proof except what was said by this person... whose family was an insider at the top for 25 years. Thats as specific as I can be but I would stay OFF the chicken farms and hell no way will I eat or touch any chicken or duck-Back to ahaan J...I thought twice ...three times about posting this but I think people should know there is potential for real problems here.

Wait and see -time will tell-

Archived